Paver splitter vs saw?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by instyle, Apr 4, 2008.

1. instyle

instyle LawnSite Senior Member
    from Canada

What is the reason to use a diamond blade saw to cut pavers instead of a paver splitter. The splitter looks way faster. And the top of the brick still has a clean cut.

2. pj550v12

pj550v12 LawnSite Senior Member

Cant cut in place with a paver splitter.

3. instyle

from Canada

Don't you find that when cutting the bricks in place they tend to push into the bedding sand and cause an angled cut?

I have never 'cut in place' so please educate me.

4. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

Cutting in place is way quicker, you can do most of your cuts without moving all the stones from the ground to the saw and back again. We use our guillotine to cut tumbled stone a lot of the time, but it doesn't always leave a clean cut, the stone often comes out with a bumpy cut edge. I prefer the guillotine to the saw, it's so much more peaceful on the jobsite than a couple of constantly droning saws.

5. instyle

from Canada

So....how do you stop the saw from pushing the paver downinto the bedding sand?

I have always been under the impression that you shouldn't even walk on the pavers untill they are tamped. How carefull does a person have to be when laying pavers on bedding sand and then walking on them?

6. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

I use strips of ply-wood (3' x 4' give or take a few inches) to walk on until the job is done, poly in the joints, and plated. i use bigger pieces for bigger jobs. Just stay off the edges.

7. instyle

from Canada

Are you saying you put sand in the joints before you cut?

8. stihljixxer

stihljixxer LawnSite Member

In my opinion if you can't walk on ur work or work off of it, such as cutting in place then your base isnt solid and wont hold up.

9. amscapes03

amscapes03 LawnSite Senior Member

The pavers sitting on the bedding course won't be solid until it's plated.

10. ConstSvcs

ConstSvcs LawnSite Senior Member

:confused::confused:

Hmmmmm.................

For driveways, walks and patios we always prepare our subase, screed out 1" of concrete sand and apply the pavers, which have been preloaded to each side on skids. Always walking on the newly installed pavers and never on the screeded concrete sand ........only on the newly installed pavers. We're always loading from the subase side which should be very well compacted. If the machine is leaving tracks...........there is a problem.

We only plywood where our edge cuts are to avoid the rolling edge issue ........prior to installing the soldier and paver edge.

We compact only after the edge has been installed or before the possibility of heavy rain...................which ever comes first.

By gosh !!.......................have we been doing it wrong :confused: