Paver step........question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tthomass, Jul 19, 2006.

1. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I'm ICPI certified and all that but its been 2 years since I did any steps......I have to install one (yeah I know only one, not two but its due to grade and not by choice) from a walk to a small patio covering under a deck.

Well I was a little foggy upstairs so I started referencing my ICPI book to find nothing on steps but only flat areas but I did find this on a quick Yahoo search: http://capbrick.com/celtik_steps.htm

I don't recall the company I was with at the time using any pins??.............only and stack and glue basically.

Also, the solid concrete block.......thats not just a riser correct? I didn't recall seeing any solid non faced block at the yard.

Thanks for any help fellas!:weightlifter: Now that 23 tons of base is down with wheelbarrows we can start laying...........long day!

2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

That is the step and riser system from permacon. With this you could use the pins or just glue the cap to the block. Also the block they refer to is just a concrete block which is usually buried so they go cheapy on that.

So you are Icpi cerified and you don't know how to build one step? mmmmm

Good luck

3. tthomass

from N. VA

i haven't built steps in 2 years out of pavers......been doing mostly masonry instead of pavers.

at a company i used to work for we took a cement block (line for building a masonry wall or house foundation etc) and glued the riser to that and glued the cap to that all with compacted subase under and back filling as we went........so yeah i can build them but perhaps from a better stand point seeing if there is a better way to do it than what the company i was with did since i know how they used to cut some corners on things

2nd opinions don't hurt

4. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

My icpi course might have spent 5min talking about steps and there where no questions on the test about steps. So yes you can be certified and not know how to build steps. I took a step course offered during my icpi course that helped a lot. The main thing about steps is do them right and by the book. They are a huge liability and usually the first thing to fail on a job that is done improperly.

5. tthomass

from N. VA

i just did it as always........only one step.........i didn't want to do it due to grade issues but he insisted so the way the grade works out his step is only 5"............covering 1/2 the riser with pavers, i'm going to recomment painting the face of the cap white due ot trip hazard and its right next to the deck that has white facing so it would look okay

to each his own i suppose

mckeeland............mind posting up a diagram or link or something as to how you do them? i'm looking for a better process especially for multiple steps/walls

6. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Last time I checked, ICPI dealt with pavers and flat work, not block, or raised applications.

7. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you familiar with the pedestal method of building steps?

8. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

Gee that really contributed to the thread.:confused:

9. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Here is a page from EP Henry's catalog that shows a simple pic of step construction. The biggest mistake is not building the steps solid from the base. A lot of guys will fill with stone, which in time will settle and sink. It makes the steps expensive, but i will not do them if they will not pay to do them right, because i have to fix them, not the homeowner. If you want any more examples let me know, i would be more than happy to show.

scan.jpg

10. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

what is the Pedestal Method, for building steps?