paver supply co. destroyed my trailer!!!

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by mickman, Jun 18, 2007.

1. mickman

mickman LawnSite Member

I went to get "3" tons of delaware stone. The guy loading asked to put stone in front of trailer, so I could put my Kubota loader tractor on trailer when I got home. After loading, I pulled on scales, went in to pay, & they tell the guy whom loaded me that he was about 900 #'s lite. So I back over scales so he can dump another bucket. Pulled back on scales, went in to pay.

drove home {about 5 miles} & I get out of truck, {you guessed it} They put 8800 lbs on my 7000# trailer, all towards the front. I don't use this stone, so what did I know. The man tells him he's a 1/2 ton light, figuring I only have a little over 2 tons of stone. The tongue bent up to where the bottom of trailer is almost hitting the ground. Who's at fault?

2. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure, it seems as if they added an extra ton

3. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

3 tons may have been too much weight for the front of that trailer anyway.
    Are you sure 8800 lbs wasn't the weight of the entire trailer with stone included?

4. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point, I think 10% of the trailer weight should be at the front, so if your tariler weighs 1800# and u add 7000# 700# of stone should be on the tounge

you overloaded your trailer you have to take it on the chin

5. PerfectEarth

PerfectEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

7000# trailer means trailer weight INCLUDING load. You were WAY overloaded. By perhaps 2800 Lbs or more (don't know what the trailer itself weighs) Then you wanted to put a tractor on it??!! Wow.

6. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

You wanted 6,000 lbs. of stone on your 7,000 lb. GVWR trailer, and then you planned on loading at least another 3,000 lbs. of tractor aboard? Sometimes ignorance is painful..:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

7. Fatboy

Fatboy LawnSite Member

I've got to agree with hosejockey2002 on this one, you told them how much and where to place the stone on your trailer. I hear that if you salt it a lot steel is easier to swallow.

Fatboy

8. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

yeah same here, sorry. i bet its posted " WE LOAD, AT YOUR OWN RISK" sign.

you told tthem to load it on your trailer...

sorry to hear

9. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

Time to buy a new trailer

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

You're at fault, you told the guy to front load it which was a mistake from the start. Even if the load would have not exceeded 7,000 pounds, having all of it forward of the axles is not safe. Sorry man, you were screwed from the start. Overloading the trailer by 1,800 pounds wouldn't ruin it by any means if the trailer was loaded correctly, the fact of the matter is that all that weight up front was what did it.