Paver walkway-depth and level with grass

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by sgoalie23, Aug 3, 2004.

1. sgoalie23

sgoalie23 LawnSite Member

Gentlemen,
    I am going to cut my teeth on my parents walkway. My father has removed the failing stamped concrete with the skid steerer. He was able to remove the some soil to various depths. My question is: How do you determine the proper depth for a 4" base when the ground level changes going along the 90' distance. What I mean is that if I set up a level string and take measurements from the string to the grass level, along the 90' that level may change by 3" to 4". Do I measure 7" (4" base, etc.)from the lowest point? We plan on using the Grinnell Naples 4 peice system. The walkway will be 90' by 4' with a semi circle and a 1/4 circle.
    Thank you.

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

rent/borrow/steal/obtain a (lazer) transit and shoot the walk. use strings and stakes to mark out the heights you need. be sure to pitch it away from the house., 1/4" per foot or there abouts.

3. Rex Mann

Rex Mann LawnSite Senior Member

Sometimes you do not want the walkway to run level but, make it go with the existing terrain.

Go buy 10 18-inch grade stakes.

Drive one in where the walkway will begin. Determine the height you want the (TOP) top-of-pavers to be. Put a piece of removable drywall tape at this level. We use the top of the tape as opposed to the bottom.

Now, if you want to run the walk with the terrain put stakes in every location where the terrain changes. Whenever you have an elevation change you'll want to put another stake with a TOP mark on it.

Once this is done, you'll have a series of stakes with TOP marks. Put a string line from TOP mark to TOP marks. This will visually show you the finished height of the pavers.

Then make any adjustments as necessary.

Now start digging. I would recommend using closer to 6-inches of aggregate base and, do not forget the geotextile.

Take the thickness of your pavers, 60MM (2 3/8-inches), how thick your bedding sand will be (1-inch) and how much aggregate you will be using 4-inches. Add them all up.

2 3/8 + 1 + 4 = 7 3/8 inches needs to be removed from the string line down.

Good luck.

Rex

PAVERSINSTALLED.COM

4. Drafto

Drafto LawnSite Senior Member

I would like to add a question to this post, what is the estimated height change due to tamping the pavers? You said add 2 3/8 for the pavers but won't they sink when you tamp them? What is the average distance they will compact to?

5. Rex Mann

Pavers will compact down from 1/8 to 1/2 inch. It depends on the type of sand and how much you use, it depends on the size of the pavers, the pattern and how many times you compact them. We use 1-inch of concrete sand and figure in 1/4-inch for compaction on most of our jobs.

Peace,

Rex

paversinstalled.com

6. gvandora

gvandora LawnSite Member

When you finish installing the pavers, I'm going to assume you'll backfill around the edges. You can adjust the grade 1/2 inch +/- around the pavers then reseed.

7. Rex Mann

I live in the desert. I have never had to re-seed grass along any of my pavers. All my clients have decorative rock brought up to the edge of the pavers.

Peace,

Rex

[​IMG]