Paver Walkway & Pation with Concrete Base/Retention

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by klinko2k, Jan 7, 2014.

1. Murphy's Law

Murphy's Law LawnSite Member
    from NH

Reddends, you better bring a sample of geotextile fabric! Haha!

2. giantlandscape.com

giantlandscape.com LawnSite Member

Concrete under pavers will fail. I met with a man wanting me to fix his pavers installed with pavers over sand over concrete. The sand would fill with water and then the sand would move up through the gaps and get washed out by the rain. Pavers end up sporadically low because of the lack of sand under some pavers. The proper way is to gravel as a base compacted under sand with pavers on top. This system allows proper drainage.

3. giantlandscape.com

giantlandscape.com LawnSite Member

Concrete under pavers will fail. I met with a man wanting me to fix his pavers installed with pavers over sand over concrete. The sand would fill with water and then the sand would move up through the gaps and get washed out by the rain. Pavers end up sporadically low because of the lack of sand under some pavers. The proper way is to gravel as a base compacted under sand with pavers on top. This system allows proper drainage. Pavestone is not junk just because a homeowner line is available at Home Depot. They sell thicker pavers to contractors. Venetian stone and hollandstone are both great products. I have used belgard and it is a good product but we have poor dealer support for contractors where I live.

4. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Just heard on the TV weather that South Carolina is expecting freezing temps and inclement weather this week! I know the OP is in NORTH Carolina, but I'm just saying "SEE, I TOLD YOU SO"!!!!