Paver Wall Pricing Central Texas??

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by TXTom, Feb 27, 2007.

1. TXTom

TXTom LawnSite Member

I am bidding a job for a Custom Poolhouse/Cabana. The construction will require a significant cut/excavation and a retaining wall around 6' tall. The cut will be in limestone and the retaining wall will be mostly for show, but it will hide a french drain and be backfilled to the cut. What should I expect to pay per lineal foot on a wall like this? Would most contractors be able to provide the drain and backfill as part of the install?

Thanks,
    Tom

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Drain tile and backfill is a necessary part of the retaining wall system and should be installed as "part" of the wall. A 6' tall retaining wall WILL need geogrid reinforcement. Will there be any loads above or behind the wall? What does the toe slope look like? How long is the wall? What type of wall system are you going with? What type of soils do you have there? What is access like? Can you access the wall from above? How about material staging? These are just some of the questions we would need to even consider your question. Not only that, but how do we know what your market will bear as far as pricing. I'm sure we can give you a range, but even a small range on a larger wall can mean 1000's of dollars difference. Can you answer any of those questions?

Chris

3. excalibur

excalibur LawnSite Member

Chris,

You think this will require geogrid? I sounds as if he is blasting or cleaving the limestone that will be left free-standing (i.e. no load on the wall). I know walls this height need geogrid in soil (almost all conditions), but here?

Casey

4. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it does. Even for a gravity wall with little load you need grid. Besides, there is not one manufacturer that suggests building a wall higher than 4' w/o grid regardless of load.

Chris

5. chris638

chris638 LawnSite Member

Anything over 3' tall in our area requires geogrid. It doesn't cost that much, but when your wall falls you'll wish you had it in there.