1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Paver work in progress

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by MarcusLndscp, Jun 25, 2005.

1. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a job we're currently doing
  2. MarcusLndscp

Sorry, hit the wrong key and submitted too early. Here's a job we're currently doing. We still have to run a band of pavers around the edge of the octagon and then run 2 small walks from it to the gazebo and to the house and one long walk about 60 feet around to the side of the garage. Nothing's been edged yet and obviously not planted but it will all be done by wednesday so I'll post finish pics then.

BSP 002.jpg

BSP 003.jpg

BSP 005.jpg

BSP 006.jpg

BSP 007.jpg
  3. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

Are those pavers wet they look like they have a sheen to them?
  4. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

Looks good so far, make sure you post the finished job pics
  5. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

may I ask what you used to get that level. on an area that broad it doesnt seem like the standard 1/4pipe and 2x4 would be sufficent.
  6. MarcusLndscp

Yes the pavers are wet.

As far as level goes....all the water sheds in one direction to the left of the gazebo if you're looking at it. To do this we used (3) - 3/4" rigid steel electrical conduit. The O.D. of it is one inch. I layed one in the middle and one on each side then used an 8' screed to screed off the sand. The pipes were shot with a transit to get the grades exact. There is another 35' walkway we completed there already as well I just don't have a finish pic. To screed and lay and cut the octagon took 2 of us about 4 hours.

What is 1/4 pipe?
  7. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Very cool looking, I like it. What type of pavers did you use? Looks a lot like the Anchor Country Manor buff/flash brown combo that I'm using at my house.
  8. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Marcus - Looks good! I like the octagon. Your cuts look good. Post some more pics when available.

9. MarcusLndscp

The pavers are from Bolduc....first time I've used them. Same concept as say a dublin cobble with 4 sizes. I notice quite a few imperfections with the Bolduc. Quite often one side of the paver will have a big "wart" that is probably the size of a golf ball in diamter or a bit bigger and stands about 1/2" high. The opposite side so far has been usable so not a big deal, you just have to watch for them. Thanks about the cuts CGLand, the good part of doing a pattern like that is you have NO waste if the guy cutting is any good. Whatever chunk was left from the cut you were making you just flip it over and start your next course with it. I think on the octagon which is 15' wide the only waste we had was from the first pie pieces we had to cut between each band. So we only had 16 small corners of a square for waste on that part of the job. The center we made out of a 2" thick piece of dimensional granite and really getting that piece sized and cut properly was the whole key to the rest of the octagon coming out right.
  10. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Are those the Bolduc Chateau? I use them quite a bit. I had a similar "wart" experience with them for the first time last week. Except, the imperfection in mine was more of a straight line, and not a circle. As you said, they could be flipped over and were fine.

Lookin' good.