Pavers 9.50 a square foot..

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by mrusk, Mar 5, 2007.

1. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

Beat this. I did my first home show this weekend. I am glad i wasn't promoting pavers at this show. There were about 15 paver displays.

1 of them was advertising pavers from 9.50!!!! I called the guy out on this and asked him how he could do this. His response was "Well its going to be the cheapest pavers, easiest pattern, and no base!!!!!!!!!"

I just walked away from the guy when he said that. I have no respect for people that do not care about out industry's reputation. The guy was a big home builder/remodeler with a 'paver divison'.

2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

I got you beat, alot of paving companies are installing for $9.00 flat. Have yet to see what they are using for a base, but I am sure it's close to nothing if anything. I do agree that it's amazing that people just don't care, and will do anything just to take the money and run. :rolleyes:

3. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

We get cheaper than that here in Florida and that includes prep and base and quality pavers.

4. Bobcat s250 NY

Bobcat s250 NY Banned
    from texas

Hey Mrusk Here on Long Island you have some of the biggest undercutters that you can ever imagine. There is one company here that will install basic color nicolock holland stone for 6.75 per square foot complete. Im sure if paponte thinks about some of the big south shore grasshoppers he will figure out who it is.. Why even go to work???:hammerhead: He should stick to is $25 mow and blows.

5. PAPS Landscape Design

PAPS Landscape Design LawnSite Member
    from us

$9.00-9.50 a sq ft really ain't that cheap....there are plenty of guys who install for less then that out there...

6. GroundScapesIncorporated

GroundScapesIncorporated LawnSite Senior Member
    from VA

I lost a driveway in 2006 (in case someone wasnt around the first two times I mentioned it) Anyway, I lost the job for 7.00 a foot for Belgard Cambridge.

They put down about 3" of base on top of #3 stone, no joint sand installed at all.

Sad:confused:

7. EgansCountryGardens

EgansCountryGardens LawnSite Member

You don't want those kinds of customers anyway. Because in the end, you don't make enough to cover your overhead. It actually costs money to go to work, it just takes about ten years to realize it. We don't charge by the sq. ft. anymore. The ICPI cert. class really opened my eyes to this. But I bet if we figured out our average job and figured out what it would be a square foot, we'd definately be over $20.00. We're busy too. All the customers you want to have. You do a high end job for someone, get all the money, then their high end friends hire you to do their house too.
    It's just finding the right customers, and doing the job the RIGHT way.
    Good luck.

8. PaperCutter

PaperCutter LawnSite Bronze Member

There was a pretty big outfit in Phoenix a few years back just KILLING us, doing pavers for $3-4/SF. AZ Gardener, know who I mean?

9. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

This show was about 115 miles south of me. Where i live, the high end jobs go for 15-25 a sq ft depending on the circumstances etc.

The 10 dollars a square foot seemed to be the norm for the area. It just wasn't the low ballers. It seemed that it was all the market could bear since their are so many paving co's out there.

10. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

"The 10 dollars a square foot seemed to be the norm for the area. It just wasn't the low ballers. It seemed that it was all the market could bear since their are so many paving co's out there."

Exactly! Some places river rock might be 3x the price of other places. If you don't know another company's costs, I'd refrain from telling them they are losing money. They might be, but on the other hand wal mart is pretty cheap and they seem to be doing ok. Believe me, where I am the prices are low and I've actually considered moving to Delaware Maryland and focusing on hardscapes because the profit margin near me is very low. But I try to make up for it on the planting side.