Pavers and Mortar

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by White Gardens, May 4, 2008.

1. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I'm doing my first edging job that will be using pavers. I'm using pavloc bravado pavers. I know I need to mortar them in, but how much I use, such as depth, width, consistency, ect... Any other suggestions would be great.

Thanks guys.
  2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

we just mortar what's under the soil, so it has a more "natural" look.
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Oh ya, I was going to just put in mortar in my "groove" or trench and just lay the blocks in and just make sure they are sitting in it good. I don't want any mortar showing when I'm done, but I want it to hold after a good winter. I hope it's right, don't want to screw it up.
  4. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

I would be sure to use a good base. I have a customer that had some guys mortar their soldier course along his walk. The soldier is sinking and the mortar shows. He isn't happy. I usually just use a good base and some Bulldog edging. Haven't had any problems with settling on the edges and the Bulldog has always held the pavers as tight as mortar would. Someone correct me if I'm missing something that makes mortar more attractive. I've always been affraid of mortar with the frost heave here in MI.