Pavers for a driveway?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by tlojohnson, Mar 28, 2010.

1. tlojohnson

tlojohnson LawnSite Member

I have a Long driveway that is about 8,000 sqf. Actually there is nothing there yet but dirt. I want to use pavers and wanted to know what you put under the pavers for you base and if the base is expensive
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Crash

Crash LawnSite Member

12" of 23A stone mix compacted every few inches. 1" of 2NS sand screeded. Don't forget to use poly Techniseal sand in the joints and a good solid edging. We use BEAST from UNILOCK, some people like using concrete.

3. DJJS

DJJS LawnSite Senior Member

We do the same for driveways 12" base compacted in 2 inch lifts, we rent a much bigger compactor for driveway paver jobs. I dnot use concrete for edging but if you do get the geotextile coming up the side in between the pavers & the poured edge so if the concrete cracks the sand/aggregate doesnt escape thru the gap

4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

he's in florida, they don't even use base in some places just pack and stack.

5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

^ Yeah, since your in a frost free climate, just some compacted sand would probably do the trick. After a number of years it will settle right in the tire tracks where you always drive, though. Are you a homeowner wanting to do this?

6. mathews

mathews LawnSite Member

Dont use just sand. It MAY work, but it MAY not gonna cost you alot more to go in rip it out n start over. At least excavate 8-10" in build ur base right. I would pay someone to do this if i were you. In florida some guys work for next to nothing anyways. BUT if you are gonna be cheap wen hiring a contractor, than ull get wat u pay for, n thatll b a rutted up driveway thats very unattractive

7. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

4-6" compacted sub base with 1" sand bed.

Call a professional, though.

Good luck.