1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

pavers in winter

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JB926, Sep 12, 2006.

1. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

what is everyones opinion of doing a paver driveway in winter now im not talking about 20 below. Either early winter or late winter. What are the pros and cons any help is appreciated

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

other than how it affects YOU, i can't see any issues

3. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

Has a big impact on what you can and cant do. Do you get much rain? rain will be hell, everything will turn to mud, you wont be able to drive trucks where you want, you'll want to keep piles of material covered so they dont get too wet. you wont be nearly as productive as you are in the summer so take that into account as the weather starts getting worse.

4. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

does rain not create mud in the summer?

5. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

Yes, but it dries much quicker, whereas it might be muddy for days after a rain in the winter. So you get rain once a week, and it could be muddy all winter long. Plus, the ground is so dry to start with in the summer.

6. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

We have had something like 1/8" of rain in the last 80 days so, yeah, the rain does not create mud in the summer, I don't know your climate.

7. richallseasons

richallseasons LawnSite Senior Member

I will do it as long as the weather permits,last year we did a small retainig wall in the end of december when we had a warm spell.

8. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

I dont do pavers but do build walls. I did one 2 winters ago in Feb. it was warm and seen the weather for a week was good and was okey. But like someone said if it rains it will not dry up as fast as in summer. Also i would not want a mees that could last 3 months. Face it you could start and if it snowed and stayed cold you could be screwed for months. Then your talking about a guys driveway messed up for a long time, that could be very embarrasing to you. I shut down in mid. november and enjoy my winter months off except i plow snow when it happens any more. Thats why we work long hours in the summer and learn how to manage our money to get us thru winter.
    Mike

9. JB926

JB926 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

what if I tarped the excavated driveway to prevent it from getting wet?

10. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member