pavers on concrete

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by growinandmowin, Apr 27, 2004.

1. growinandmowin

growinandmowin LawnSite Member

anybody ever lay pavers on top of a concrete pad? it is in in perfect condition(level, no cracks). the only problem i see is edging it is already 3-4 inches above ground level. if i add pavers it will be even higher and what kind of edging would work. ive done sidewalks and patios before using plastic edging and concrete but i dont see this working unless i backfill. any suggestions?

2. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

glue your outside soldier course around the perimeter of concrete pad, let your soldier course set before starting on the rest of the patio. no glue required on the rest of patio.

3. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

You could do that, but you will probably end up with standing water on the inside of the pavers, which will lead to damage in the winter from freeze/thaw.

Best bet is to use steel paver edging and a PAT (powder actuated tool, i.e.- a Remington hammer) to drive spikes/nails/pins into the concrete. This will still cause the water to back up, but is not water tight like gluing would be.

You will want to backfill to the level of the pavers regardless, lest you have a tripping/twisted ankle hazard.

Dan

4. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

We have installed over concrete before. I would suggest drilling some core holes in concrete for drainage. Then you will need to use a fabric over the holes to keep sand base from flowing out.

5. growinandmowin

thanks for the suggestions, do i really need a sand base? i was planning on laying them directly on the concrete. as i said the pad is nearly perfect.

6. clipfert

clipfert LawnSite Member

Felix and Foz got it right and yes you still need a 1" sand base. For the pavers to interlock properly the sand must work up from the bottom as well as down from the top when you sweep it in.

Chris

7. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Also, you can put some weep holes in the mortar (with fabric to contain the sand). Easy to do while the mortar is wet.

8. MD Land Management

MD Land Management LawnSite Member

This is becoming a hot topic for homeowners not wanting to rip out the old concrete because they don not have the money. I just attended some ICPI courses in Feb. The recommend Gluing the outside edge, drilling weep holes in the old concrete, then filter fabric then 1 inch of sand. Now you are ready to set your pavers. As for the water fact I would put the new polymeric joint sand so most of the water will run off instead of penetrate, some will still penetrate, but the weep holes will take care of that. Now backfill the edges so you don't kill yourself walking over the edge. Good Luck

Mark
    MD Landscape Management

9. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

I have a customer who just bought a home with this installed.Instead of using pavers,brick tile was installed on top of the concrete walk and grouted.Looks great and only raised the height about 1/2".

10. growinandmowin

Great idea but i think in my climate one winter would crack the mortar or tiles. what do you think?