Pavers over concrete around a pool

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Drew Gemma, Apr 25, 2007.

1. Drew Gemma

Drew Gemma LawnSite Bronze Member

what do i need to know job was done 2 years ago and is already failing i have the task of correcting it the rep is going to help fix this what are your experiences any thoughts tips ideas
  2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Could you elaborate a bit more please. Pictures would help.
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Masons LOVE us for tearing them apart on this subject. Can always tell when a mason did a aver job around here. It's on a slab or at least on what was drypak, the soldier course is on a footing and the field is on sand, or the best is when they morter their gaps in order to eliminate cuts in their border. :rolleyes:
  4. Drew Gemma

A customer of mine had a company come in and build a kitchen island with sink and grill and the concrete counter already broke. The pavers were laid over the existing concrete around the pool which was in great shape. They had a fall out during the job the foreman quit so 2 flunkies came back 3 months later to finish it. No poly sand which was to be used in the contract. so sand washed into pool all the coping around the pool is breaking apart. The rep from oberfields is meeting me tonight at 6:00 to check this mess out.
  5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

There is nothing really tricky about concrete over lay.
  6. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

Concrete always cracks never guarantee it won't!
    Mortar the coping around the pool and then screed out your sand and lay the pavers. sweep in the poly-sand.
  7. Drew Gemma

they did that it didn't hold up one winter factory rep told me that it should have been glued to the concrete each paver plus the coping then put a silicon bead around the coping so nothing can wash into pool like it did. to set pavers to grade they also said use glue not sand plus previous instaler mixed poly sand with sand to make it strech furthur obviously a no no and a dump idea. the island broke becaue it was not level and no suports for the counter top so we have to notch it out and put in angle iron supports so it soesn't crack again. basically they spent 25,000 and they have to spend another 12500 to fix it but I am not gonna do it I told them thanks but no thanks I have other jobs to do plus I just don't have enough man power to get that job done and still keep up on other installs
  8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

We mortared the outside row of full nose coping then laid a sand bed for remainder of stone on the 30" perimeter concrete pad. If there is a better way I would love to know. I have 3 to do this summer.

canon 4th download 039 (Medium) (2).jpg
  9. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

I am actually kind of glad this topic was brought up. When taking the ICPI certification course, I was told that ICPI specs call for a minimum 4" concrete pad to be installed around the whole pool deck area to be covered with pavers, screed sand, and lay pavers on top. However, I see several guys on this forum that are ICPI certified and do not pour a pad, just excavate, compact 6" of base, screed, and lay the pavers. Can you gys that have done pool decks inform me which method is correct and what are the advantages an disadvantages of both. If anybody has any pictures of pool decks they installed over 5 years ago and what the current condition of these pool decks are, and what method they used please post them. I am bidding on a pool deck right now for summer so I would like to learn how to do it properly. Thanks
  10. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

We prep them Like they are a driveway with 10-12 inches of dense grade.