Pavers over existing raised porch

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jbailey52, Feb 2, 2008.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I was wondering how this is done correctly. I hope I explain this well.. I am thinking of the houses that have one step usually, going onto a raised concrete porch that usually has a roof overhang with 2 or 3 pillars. How do you pave this without demo? I see you build the wall around the raised porch, but do you knock out the step? also, how do you adhere the pavers to the concrete? Adhesive? or sand with the edges glued? Thanks.

2. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. DVS Hardscaper

NO! We did not do the planting :dizzy:

[​IMG]

4. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Pics help a lot! thanks.. Were the pillars original? They dont seem to connect to the existing steps..also what about the pavers.. what are they sitting on.. the old step directly with glue? or sand?

Thanks again

5. DVS Hardscaper

pillars were not original.

pavers are on the existinf stoop, with 1" bedding sand.

no paver adhesive.

We simply formed up a retaining wall with block and created a step or two.

6. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

DVS, that first landing area there...Is that just all backfilled with compacted modified? Did you choose to separate the bedding sand from the concrete and modified?

7. DVS Hardscaper

Yes, backfilled entirely with crusher run, or modified, whatever different places call it.

And it was compacted.

We seperate all our ingredients with filter cloth, it's routine procedure for us.

8. leaflandscape

leaflandscape LawnSite Member

The only problem we've had in this kind of situation is the aggregate between the wall and the original step always seems to settle over the course of 4-5 years rgardless of the compaction, causing the pavers to settle out slightly. What's the best way to avoid this besides not doing the job?

9. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Use a solid block for most of your fill material (EP Henry step filler block) or even pavers or light weight block. You can build a pedestal and fill around it. On a small area where compacting is tough, your best bet would be making your own flowable fill with a cement mixer and sand.

10. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I agree Champ.