pavers over slab?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by greenguy08, Jun 7, 2008.

1. greenguy08

greenguy08 LawnSite Member
    from ohio

I have a customer that has a nice, level concrete slab which he'd like to put a paver patio on top of? Any options for this besides tile?

2. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

We've been doing a lot of natural stone (i.e. flagstone) lately... Works great on top of concrete..

3. greenguy08

from ohio

Thanks. How do you do your base prep? I'm assuming you mortar your stone in place?

4. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Correct. Make sure that the concrete surface is clean and then mortar in to place.

5. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

Currently in the middle of laying architectural tiles (stone) on an existing slab. Other than the weight it hasn't been too tough and looks pretty good. Still have to grout and clean up. I'll post some pics when its done. You should look at Hanson's new product catalogue before you decide which way to go. I don't know anyone else that makes these things.

6. greenguy08

from ohio

I'm not experienced with mortar and grout, only with pavers. Can I add a deep layer of compacted crusher run/ road base and sand and then lay pavers over it, and then add topsoil to bring my grade up to the finished patio? Are there any other options? I don't want to try a mortar project when I'm not experienced.

7. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Just screed off beding sand and lay pavers over the concrete.

We have done it numerously.

Use edge restraint to retain pavers.

You can either drill holes in the concrete to spike the restraint to, or put down a 6" perimeterof aggregate around the concrete and use the aggregate to hold your edge restraint.

8. greenguy08

from ohio

Thanks, DVS. It makes sense- I mean, you're not going to get a much better base than a nice slab, right? Anyone else have any ideas or experience with this? Is drainage an issue with a solid base? Thanks for the help, everyone.

9. LawnVet

LawnVet LawnSite Member
    from SE MI

DVS-
    You've never had a problem with sand washing out from under the pavers doing it that way? That is the concern I've had when laying over a slab. I mean, you want the slope for drainage, but edge restraint isn't going to hold the sand from washing out, then you'll end up with dips, or so I would think. The current job I'm doing has a downspout emptying right onto the slab and I just know sand would wash out very quickly. Your thoughts?

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

nope. I think we have 4 swimming pool decks where we laid pavers over concrete and never had any problems with sand washing out.

Most concrete slabs already are pitched for water run off. Just check and make sure it's pitched and you should be good to go.