1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

pavers vursus stamping

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Residential Recreation, Mar 27, 2005.

1. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

DJD, what would you say are the benefits of using stamped concrete rather than pavers?

2. DJD

DJD LawnSite Member
    from NEPA

Mbella,
    I agree with you on all your points. Like I said if you can sell it in your area,, that's great. But here,,, it just doesn't sell.

That is one done fall with stamped concrete. Once that colored release is on,, there is no room for error. One dropped stamped will scar the job for as long as it is there.
    Look at this way, at the money you get for stamping,, you could actually screw it up,,, rip it out,, redo it,,, and still make a profit

3. mbella

DJD, I understand where you're coming from. I'm just suprised. I'm suprised that for virtually the same price, consumers in your area would choose an inferrior application. I've gone up against stamped concrete when selling paver jobs and I never have a problem explaining the advantages of pavers.

4. Residential Recreation

Residential Recreation LawnSite Member

neither have i mike

5. mbella

DJD, by the way, the quality of flagstone sucks here as well.

6. Residential Recreation

Residential Recreation LawnSite Member

yup the flagstone here in northern indiana is great because nm is soo close if you want good quality stone you just have to pay the price aggregate industries will get it for you they offered me dg at 65 a ton thats with their 45 a ton shipping

7. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

we have great flagstone here but very pricey from 250 to 400 a ton. in dozens of colors and sizes.
    there are many landscapers doing dry-set flags on crushed limestone base.many more masons doing mortar on concrete. i do both.what is your speciality?
    mj

8. northmichigan

northmichigan LawnSite Member

i've used penn. bluestone and loved it.
    mj

9. mbella

Before last year, I would have agreed. I saw a marked decrease in flagstone quality last year. I bought from five different vendors and the lack of quality was consistent.

10. scraper69

scraper69 LawnSite Senior Member
    from mi

It customer preference- Stamp vs Pavers. and in Mich Stamp is a bit less than pavers- due to time to prep and install. We do both, i like pouring because the job gets done faster. pavers are time consuming (cuts steps etc)
    As for quality- i agree pavers are better -especially in Mich with frz/thw cycle
    however its what you can sell the client. Now days. there are many different patterns for stamping, (and We use added color to the concrete (no release) much easier and cleaner to work with.) Beware - you need talent to do this,,, not everyone who can lay pavers can finish and stamp concrete. It takes experience and skill. If done right you can have a hella finished product.
    I still prefer to start the sales pitch with pavers (due to $/sq), and it holds up longer with frost(freeze thaw).

It all depends on what the customer wants.. but i am glad to offer both,