1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by John Deere, Feb 16, 2001.

1. John Deere

John Deere LawnSite Member

Do any of you use a concrete base to set your pavers in? We have used sand in the past.
  2. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

For a more durable, longer lasting base you should try crushed stone. Concrete isn't great, but can be done. Just expect heaving cracks just like you get with slabs of concrete.

But read this thread first. It's an oldie but goodie

3. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Put some ear plugs in before you read that one. So much good info in there your brain might start oozing out. One of the best threads I've ever read here, I had it saved in my favorites. Once again, thanks to all for sharing all of the info.
  4. double e

double e LawnSite Member

For pavers you should get down to compactable soil first ( no biodegradable) add crush n run at least 4" then a base of Concrete sand to lay them. You want to make pavers made to move with weather.

As far as concrete- I'm not sure- will cost a lot more
    Make sure its set on slope for proper water run off.
    Me personally wouldn't try it
  5. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

We set pavers on concrete for high trafic areas, many streetscapes require this. Most of the time it's for crossings in roads or intersctions. There are a whole set of specifcations for this type of work check with your paver manufactures. You could also go to the Unilock site and order their installtion package. http://www.unilock.com