Pavestone Patio Aggregate Base

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Dec 10, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I installed a paver patio for a customer 1.5 years ago and used crushed limestone as the base. I was told that after I compacted it, I should be able to kick the base with the heel of my boot and none of the stones should come lose. I was never able to accomplish that with the crushed limestone.

Here is a picture of the crushed limestone I'm talking about.

Aggregate Base 1.02.JPG

2. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

So this time, I'm installing another paver patio and I decided to use the aggregate base recommended by the folks over at Pavestone. They said to go to Big City Crushed Concrete and get it from them. I just got back and the thing I'm noticing is that there is a lot of fine dirt in the mix.

Here is a picture.

Aggregate Base 1.01.JPG

3. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

Would you:

A.) Screen the crushed concrete and only use the larger particles.
    B.) Use the crushed concrete as is.
    C.) Haul the crushed concrete off and bring in crushed lime stone.
    D.) Other.

Thanks for any help.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

4. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

The small particals will fill in the spaces between the larger chunks, thus creating a better compacted base. You used just stone as a base before?

5. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

to me. Not the best quality though. I like a mix with more fines and small sizes compared to that stuff - too much 3/4 inch and up. We get different grades from different suppliers but they all call it AB-3. I prefer to have more smalls and fines as it compacts better and forms a more solid base. Use what you got, better than what you were using. Ask around and see if you can different/finer grades.

6. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

++++The small particals will fill in the spaces between the larger chunks, thus creating a better compacted base. You used just stone as a base before?++++

Yes. Just crushed limestone. It seemed to compact fairly well...I just wasn't able to get it as compacted as the Pavestone people were telling me is should have been.

Will the soil in the aggregate mix not allow for weed germination? My biggest fear is having weeds come up in the cracks between pave stones.

I'm guessing your answer is B?

Thanks,
    DFW Area Landscaper

7. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

That is not crushed limestone. That is 1/4 - 3/4 chat. "real" base material has a little powder/crushed limestone. Either your stuff in the 2nd pic is wet-will make it look like dirt, or they gave you the rememnants at the bottom of the bin. I wouldnt have used either if at all possible.

8. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

++++Either your stuff in the 2nd pic is wet-will make it look like dirt++++

Yes. It is moist. Its been rainy for several weeks here. Only had sunshine for about 3 days.

I am noticing, since we shoveled it out of the trailer, that the top surface is starting to look grey as it dries out.

I guess I'll use it and see how it does.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

9. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

Dude,

The stuff you used on the first patio is clean stone...a no-no for patio bases. The second pile looks like.......crap. I would never use crushed concrete as a base, because it will continue to break down (especially under loads) and cause a failure in the patio. The material you should use is 3/4" modified or 2A modified.....the key here is "MODIFIED" not clean or clean with a bunch of crap mixed in.

Chris

10. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

When in doubt, get an ASTM standard for the gravel. Take that to the supplier and tell them you need gravel that meets that spec. I don't have a spec number, it's never been a problem around here...

As others have stated, the first picture is clean gravel. That's not what you should have used. That gravel before it was washed would have been fine. You want dust and small particles for the base, that's what locks it all together.

I wouldn't use the crushed concrete either. What ever is typically used for road base in your area is probably what you want.

Good luck.

Dan