Pavestone Patio on a down hill slope

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by DFW Area Landscaper, Dec 10, 2004.

1. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

Will this look terrible? The slope is probably 15 degrees or so, I'd guess.

Thanks,
    DFW Area Landscaper

2. Longstar

Longstar LawnSite Member

Is there no way of leveling it out? I think problems would pop up at a later time if it were built on a slope.

3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

DFW,

Can you give a little more info, like overall size? Is it a walkway or a patio?

If the area is too big, velocity of water run-off could cause sand to be washed out of the joints, or even some sub surface erosion depending on the location and amount of run-off. 15 degree seems fairly significant.

Plus, there is the whole installation process that will be more difficult -- how do you determine when you have a flat bed of gravel base? Typically, you're gonna do that with levels/strings and such, unless you're fortunate enough to have a laser. I've done a few on minimal slopes, but no 15 degrees.

Would something like this work?

P1010095A.jpg

4. fastlane

fastlane LawnSite Senior Member

Slippery when wet?

5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Why not build it into the slope?Excavate the patio area so that it's level.Then use a retaining wall to hold back the soil around the patio.

6. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like a driveway to me.

7. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

The patio will be about 220 ft sq and will replace an existing 10' X 10' concrete slab patio. Here is a picture of the area. I'm thinking I'd like to extend the patio from the wall of the house to about the middle of the liriope.

Appreciate any suggestions. I did consider a wall, but I figured the only way to do that would leave a weird drop off from the edge of the patio and between the fence.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper

Pavestone Patio 1.01.JPG

8. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Heck, I was picturing a hillside with a 15 degree slope.Just level up the patio area with fill dirt,compact,spread your base,compact,and install your pavers.
    Then,install an edging of pavers below the patio grade pavers.Kinda like framing a picture.The top of the pavers will meet the bottom of the patio pavers.Just like stepping down a retaining wall,except you'll be stepping down the area around your patio.

9. DFW Area Landscaper

from DFW, TX

NickN,

If I do that, the most I can step down is 2-3/8", right? That's how tall the pavers are.

The more I think about it, the more I think I should use castle wall along the left side of the patio. Maybe two stones high.

If I do that, would I use sand between the top of the castle wall stones and the paver stones, or do you just lay the paver stones directly on top of the castle wall stones.

Or is the castle wall & paver patio more of an expert level of craftsmanship...not recommended for beginners?

Thanks
    DFW Area Landscaper

10. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

DFW,

Maybe you can try to add a couple of steps leading down to the fence and make a couple of planting "boxes" out of wall block that would extend to the fence. I would not try to extend that patio any further without the installation of a retaining wall. It is definately not a project for beginners, but with some basic skills, and maybe a friend that has some experience you can do it. (Oh, don't forget common sense) You have to start somewhere. Good luck!

Chris