Pavestone Wall

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Hodge, Sep 17, 2004.

1. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

Just finished building a elevated flower bed for a customer. Approached it the same was as before, but due to the slope of the yard ended up putting more layers than I like. The far edge is 2 high with one buried, and the end closest to the drive way is 6 high with two buried. Finished the job and thought I was done, well it rained that night, and now part of the wall have sank.... And the remained (the 6 stack high) side is unstable. Pressure from the dirt behind the wall (as this is a elevated flower bed) is pushing the high side outward and on the ground (falling over). Customer requested the bricks not to be mortared, as they might move them over time, but how do I resolve this stability issue.

Yes I did "geo grid" them with each layer breaking the joining brick below and no two levels with the same brick line, if you are going to ask.

Is there something I can use to stop this?

2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Geo grid is reinforcement fabric that is placed between courses, and ties the wall into the earth behind it. I think you are saying that you simply stacked the blocks on bond, which means you staggered the blocks one course to the next.

It would be helpful to know what you used for block. 6 blocks high is approaching 4' for some block, and depending on soil conditions, could require geo grid fabric.

I'm speculating that your base is either not appropriately compacted, or not constructed with the proper material. I'm also guessing that you didn't include drainage behind the wall, which would give the water someplace to go.

3. Hodge

Hodge LawnSite Senior Member

GreenMonster,

Sorry you are correct just stacked the bricks on seams with no fabric. I did leave weep hole for the water and placed fabric behind the holes to prevent too much loss of soil. The pavestone product is an estate edge concrete stone 8" at the face, x 3.5" high and 4.8" deep. Bricks are tapered with the back being 6.5" wide.

4. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

So, the wall is only about 3' or so at it's highest point? Based on the dimensions, these sound like more of a garden wall product than a retaining wall product -- designed for small flower beds, tree rings, and the like. If you are trying to hold back earth a la retaining wall, you are probably going to want a different product.

If you are having problems at even two high, I still think your base is suspect. Some drain rock behind the wall may have helped too. If you have topsoil directly behind the wall, it is retaining the water, and creating pressure behind the wall.