1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

paving and retaining prices?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by nubbie, Feb 25, 2002.

1. nubbie

nubbie LawnSite Member

Went to a Unilock seminar the other day and they gave prices that they felt were a standard. Wanted to know what everyone else thought and price descrepencies?

Pavers - $8-12 per sq ft installed.
    Retaining Wall - $25-40 per sq ft installed.

No change in pricing for any style. Universal:confused: :confused:
  2. PAPS

PAPS LawnSite Senior Member

Those are pretty much standard for UNILOCK products.
    When you get into Techo-bloc etc. and more expensive products.. you will find your sq. ft prices jump up a tad.
  3. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

The size of the project, accessability of the site, stability of the sub-base can all impact the price. Don't be cowed into accepting someone else's idea of price. Look at the individual job before committing to a figure that may not be realistic. There is a huge difference between paving a plaza on a commercial site and putting a patio in a wet backyard of a townhouse.
  4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

As a general rule those price are good, lots of room on the walls and except for the odd ball paver jobs that come by, I think paver prices are right in line.

But each job is rule unto it's self and your ability to perform, don't think that if your just starting out installing paver that you can compete with companies that do it day in and out, especially on larger jobs or ones that are in difficult conditions.
  5. digger242j

digger242j LawnSite Member

A question that's sort of related....

For an identical set of conditions--size, type, access, difficulty, etc.--is your price the same at the $475,000 home of a brain surgeon as it is at the $125,000 home of some middle management type person? Is there a "value of a buck to this guy" factor that influences your bid? Or would your bid absolutely depend only on what the job will cost you to do? If there is a difference, what's your reasoning? Pricing has always been a tough thing for me, so I'm curious as to how others approach the subject....
  6. E-man

E-man LawnSite Member
    from PA

I dont charge differently for anybody, whether they make 50 or 200 thousand a year . I cant give the lower income person a lower rate because I still have to make a profit and cover all costs of the job. As for the higher income person I still charge the same because I'm not the type to lets say take advantage of that person becuase he makes more money. As a business owner I believe if you want to stay in this business you have to treat everyone with the same respect because if you underbid everyone that has a smaller income your business will fail. I f you overcharge the wealthier your business will fail because they will catch on .
  7. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

I look at job size, paver pattern, and job conditions to set my prices. All I bid is public work and from prices I see (open bidding) my prices are right in line. Last job I bid was 18,000 sq ft of holland stone, prices ranged from $5.50 per sq ft with out base to $7.50 with base, our price was right in line with everyone else.
  8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, you'd have better luck getting more money for the job from the person who had the less expensive home. The people that have the money are more prone to try and get the cheapest price out there. They're intelligent enough to be able to afford a home like that, yet ignorant enough to always choose the cheapest with certain things, go figure. Not thinking they will get what they pay for.
    Anyways, I charge people the same no matter who they are or where they reside. My costs are my costs and try to stick to that. I value repeat work and retaining customers and I don't want to go around wondering who's friends and who's comparing notes. :)
  9. RoyeDillon

RoyeDillon LawnSite Member

Whoa!!?? 25-40 on walls around here I go @ 22 And get kicked in the face all the time. Too much clay to go that low on pavers. About 15-20. Not sure how to get that lower any suggest's? Comp's on pavers are only charging 10-12 & I don't see that they are making money. Thanks for any input. Also do you use clay or concrete pavers?
  10. Stonehenge

Stonehenge LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

Do I understand that you are charging $15-20/sqft for pavers, but $22/face foot for retaining walls?

Those two prices seem to be at opposite ends of the spectrum - cheap on walls, high on pavers.

I'm wondering on the pavers, if you haven't been doing them very long, you may not be as efficient as competitors. Or if you're doing projects primarily under 100 sq ft.

Otherwise, I don't see how you can't make money at $10-12/sqft. Like Paul said, prices vary, we did a project last year for $17/sqft, but it was smaller and difficult.

As for paver types, if they make it in a paver, we've likely laid it.

How long would it take you to install a typical 500 sqft patio - assume skid loader access, no steps to build.