1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

paving ?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by godzilla, Apr 15, 2007.

1. godzilla

godzilla LawnSite Senior Member

One of my clients and I are questioning a price he got for blacktop. Rip up the existing, which is about 25 ton. Haul that out. Install 4" of item 4 and about 40 tons of blacktop . The price he got is $7,000
  2. ManorD24

ManorD24 LawnSite Member

Doesnt sound too off with the math i'm doing. Might be on the higher side, cause to do my driveway i'm getting prices in the $2500 range, and its a 1000sqft driveway. Which equals around 15 tons of new asphalt. best advice is to make sure they are a good quality company. Down here on the island there are alot of companies and i got prices from about 8 or 9 and i know the type of work each does, and the cheapes just doesnt look as good as the work afew of the higher priced guys do.
  3. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Why has the amout of asphalt increased a extra truck load (15 ton) ?

Does the contractor recycle the old asphalt or is the homeowner getting charged a disposal fee. Around here used asphalt is classes as a dangerous good because of the oil it can't be buried.

Why are they hauling in more subbase if its good under the old asphalt repack it down and lay the new stuff over top.

Watch out for the fly by nighter asphalt companies usually the guys that specialize in driveways try to do it cheap as they can.
  4. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

well if the old drive needs to be replaced it is probablly do to the fact that the base was not prepped well. a good company would remove all the old drive and base and reinstall to make sure it is with in spec. around here the best asphalt company is bracken paving and i think he is getting around 3-4 a square foot. when he does it, it is perfect. the cheapo guys are in the 1.80-2.25 range. i have seen these guys do some crazy stuff, a couple come to mind. one company paved a driveway that ran down to the house and turned a 90 that went in to the side of the house. well they paved the part part that was turning in to the house (30 feet) with it slping about 2 inches towards the house. so to fix the problem they came out with a tourch and a 4 inch metal pipe and started heating the pavment and beating the pipe down with the sledge hammers to get a little ditch away from the house. looked like real pros let me tell you. the second one was so lazy that when they came to pave no one had pulled the form off the side walk, so instead of taking 2 mins to knock one 3 foot board of the end of the side walk the just paved around it.....geeez

you get what you pay for, which is hard for me cause i am a tight ass