Pavingstones in FLORIDA

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by ChampionLS, Feb 1, 2008.

1. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a question for the contractors in the state of Florida:

1) Do you purchase pavingstones from a masonry dealer, or do you buy directly from the manufacturer?

2) Are there masonry dealers that specifically sell hardscape construction products only, such as pavingstones, wall products and aggregates?

3) Most pavingstones are 2-3/8" (60mm) and 2-3/4"(70mm) thick. In Florida, I was informed that there are pavers approximately 1-1/2"(38mm) thick. How often are these pavers used, and where are they used on projects?

Any information or photos would greatly appreciated.

-Anthony

2. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

the thin ones are for homeowners that don't know better.
    they are also for wet lay.

also all the pavers we get are 60 or 80mm... never saw a 70mm

3. ChampionLS

Would you say the majority are 2-3/8(60mm) that contractors install? How about the other questions...

4. Sunscaper

Sunscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Anthony,
    I'll try and help.

1. Everyone here buys direct from the manufacturer.

2. No.

3. 60's are used probably 75% of the time. The 30's are for pedeestrian areas only. I.E. lanai's, pool decks, etc. not driveways.

5. ChampionLS

Thanks for the info. Things are definitely different down south, as compared to the north.

Do you know if the smaller paver is commonly used with contractors, or is that pretty much just a 'do it yourself' homeowner thing?

I may decide to introduce a new lighting component, if those smaller pavers are used frequently enough.

6. Sunscaper

Anthony,
    You're welcome. Yes, its a polar opposite here. I moved from Pa over 2 years ago. What a SHOCK I was in for!!!!

7. Sunscaper

THe 30mm's are popular for remodeling of pools and lanai's. Really no one here does anything themselves. Hell, I have someone mow my yard even.

8. ChampionLS

Are the 30mm pavers equal to the 60mm pavers in height/width/color.. but just thinner? If you had a patio that was laid in 30mm, and you replaced several pavers with 60mm (assuming you removed some bedding sand to do this) would it work?

I guess what I'm asking is, do they make all the same products in 30mm too? Or only one style?

9. Sunscaper

30mm's go over concrete like tile. We offer the 30's in octo, 4x8's, 6x6 and 6x9's only. We have ALOT more selection in the 60 mm. Also the remodel pool coping only comes in solid colors not a blend.

Sometimes you can set he 30's in playsand to releive the constant concrete to concrete sound when you walk on them and just thin set the soldiers to keep the sand from falling out.