Pawls not catching flywheel

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by devnuts, Jul 21, 2008.

1. devnuts

devnuts LawnSite Member
    from CT

I just put a new starter rope on my kawasaki FC420v. Niw the pawls do not catch the flywheel. Sometimes it will immediatly and sometime igt takes some time pulling the rope in and out until it cathes. The pawls are new as well as the rubber piece holding the pawls. Any suggestions or do I need to keep pulling my arm out?

2. Phil G

Phil G LawnSite Senior Member

There would seem to be too much resistance on the pawls. As you've fitted new pawls and rubber holding to pawl it might be something else like the rope pulley has a slight distortion. Take it apart and clean the pulley under the pawls. Check by hand the pawls are free moving in the housing, are they tight in the rubber?. You should be able to move the pawls freely by hand.
    Just dismantle and reassemble checking free movement along the way.
    Good luck Phil

3. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

on this engine the pawls are in a plastic pully. one thing i see a lot is the springs are not put on the right side of the pawl and or the the tension spring is not centerd take it back apart and wile you are tighting the screw that holds it all together make sure it will not catch and you should be good to go. also check that the pully has no burrs around the spot the pawls fit into or is broken in any way.