Pawn Shop Deals

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnspecialties, Feb 17, 2008.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

LDH posted a thread about his new blower he got at a pawn shop. It reminded me of a wonderfull story. A fire station I used to be assigned to had a pawn shop across the street near the grocery store. One day, we were walking back to the station with a few groceries and decided to just pop in to browse.

I hadn't been in there a couple of minutes when I noticed a Lesco broadcast spreader with the drop-spreader attachment. All it needed was a cotter pin in the axle (to turn the broadcaster) and the cover was missing. The price: $59. I asked the guy was that the cheapest he'd go (just for the heck of it) and he said he'd go an even $50 because "those things cost over $100 new". I told him to hold it while I went back to the fire station to get my checkbook. It took me a little while to get back over there and when I did, he said another guy had tried to buy it.

Later, I went to Lesco to order a cover and we looked up the serial numbers. They had no record of that spreader anywhere in the area. They said they rarely sell the one's with the drop spreader attachment since they're retailed at $459.00.

That was 3-4 years ago and I still use this spreader multiple times a year.

Anybody else got a nice "pawn shop story"?
  2. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

I dont go to them. I refuse to support stolen property. Pawn shops are nothing but a cog in a wheel that supports a bad local economy.
  3. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

Be careful you can buy and the police could be knocking on your door.
  4. Lawn Enforcer

Lawn Enforcer LawnSite Silver Member

A couple years back, my Dad saw something that looked like an aerator in the pawn shop by his workplace. So one day he stopped in and looked at it after work. It was practically brand new! Not even a scratch on the thing. It was a Lesco 26" drum type w/ a 4hp Honda. The guy wanted $750 for it. We came with the trailer the next day. We offered him $700 and he took it, he said it was too big and it was taking up too much room in the store so he had to get rid of it! I checked the retail of it after I got home, it was worth $2,250! We've made so much money from that thing, it's unbelievable!
  5. Itzkcatz

Itzkcatz LawnSite Member
    from CT

Aroung here pawnshops are like 10 dollars cheaper than new. they want 400 for a shindaiwa eb630 thats like 3 years old
  6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bingo, same here.
  7. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

I will never go to one because, if its not you someone is always getting screwed.
  8. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

unfortunetley, it was already stolen. the thief already got his money. so it doesn't truly matter if you buy it from the pawn shop, someone else will. and the crack-head that stole it will be back out there to steal another one. He will just go up to some LCO and tell him he has a blower to sell him for $200. I still will not support any pawn shop. because i know my brand new br600 went to one, thats the only purchase i would have made from one. if i couldve bought my blower back.