1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pawn Shop Score!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mope Head, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Mope Head

Mope Head LawnSite Member

Just picked up an Echo SRM 2400 weedeater and a Stihl FS85 edger for $125 total. Took them home, scrubbed them off, gave them some fresh gas and they both started on the third pull. Woo-hoo! I'm tellin ya, from now thru fall is THE time to find deals on used equipment.
  2. robby

robby LawnSite Member

sounds like you found a deal!.....whats a good way to find out when a pawn shop is carrying lawn equipment? You just call around to different ones? or?
  3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Were you able to test them b4 you paid for em.
  4. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

probably just buying someones stolen property.
  5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

I can almost guarantee it.

Are the serial #'s still there???
  6. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

just had 2 trimmers and a redmax 8000 stolen so i will be looking at all of the pawn shops.

i feel if you buy stolen property to use all you are doing is hurting yourself in the long run. Mainly because of insurance, and karma.
    what goes around goes around.
  7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

There's a pawn shop that sells on eBay and has commercial lawn equipment (trimmers, edgers, blowers) ALL the time!

There's NO way that many commercial guys are taking their stuff to this pawn shop for peanuts. No way! I've even thought about notifying the police in their home town (they're in FL) to have them check them out.
    Could probably shut down a nice little theft ring there.
  8. Varsity L&G

Varsity L&G LawnSite Senior Member

Don't pawn shops check police records for SN's?

I have every SN for everything in my car and in my garage in my security safe in the house.
  9. Nosmo

Nosmo LawnSite Bronze Member

It's the other way around here. The police check the pawn shops
    every business day for stolen property (reported stolen property).

The one doing the pawning has to sign a statement before the loan is made stating he is authorized to do so.
  10. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

but really,do you ask the shop keeper"hey is this stolen?" why heck no you buy it and run.even if it was stolen who would admit they are selling stolen property?