Pay by week or month??

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Palmer'sLS, Mar 12, 2006.

1. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

Hi all, for residential accounts do you charge the people weekly or monthly? i want to charge weekly while im starting out but is this the norm??? thanks ahead for the advice

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

id just collect when yoru finished, if you grow and turn 18 its more professional to send a monthly bill....

some guys here can get ther clients to pay a 12 moth billing cycle, but that wont fly where im at...:)

3. Kohls Landscaping Co

Kohls Landscaping Co LawnSite Member

We send out our 'bills' at the end of every month to our lawn accounts. Trying to collect after each mow can be time consuming. Also, your customers are probably not going to home every time you get finished mowing.

Dave

4. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

but he is a kid and no one is going to expect him to send out bills, and he might even be under the table... so .....:)

not that i would incourage any of that behavior

5. lawnrangeralaska

lawnrangeralaska LawnSite Senior Member

Have the customer leave the check under the doormat

6. CAG

CAG LawnSite Senior Member
    from ct

send a bill once a month.. how would like to have to pay your phone bill every week. plus weekly cash collection or billing is a waste of time and money.. when i first started having them leave it somewhere never worked well for me but and i still think the customer will find it to be a pita..

7. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Kid or not he is asking.

I have 1 residential account that I am replacing a guy that I guess didn't do the job right. I am charging the same price and he would like to be invoiced monthly. He has read my contract, after I revise an item or 2 to better suit the both of us he will sign it and I will bill him. Snowplowing has not been discussed yet but has been pointed too IF we ever get snow. Hope this helps.:drinkup:

8. 29 Palms Property Management

29 Palms Property Management LawnSite Senior Member

I think it's more professional and less of a hassle to just send invoices monthly. I do have a few elderly couples that make a point of paying per visit, but that's all. Everyone else is once a month.

9. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Remember, what works for one Lco may or may not work for someone else...

As for me, I am a financially nervous person so I like to get paid per service or per visit.

I say do what suits you best, be yourself and do what you would do... if you can't figure out what to do, try several methods and see which one works the best.

10. Pro-lawns

Pro-lawns LawnSite Member

my customers leave it in a envlope in the back yard
    in bq grill so if it rains it wont get wet
    i do weekly that way idf some thing brakes diur in the week
    we have the miney to fix it