Pay Employees For Driving Time?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Blmtlandscapes, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Blmtlandscapes

Blmtlandscapes LawnSite Member

Some days we have a 45 min commute each way to get to some of our bigger estate properties. Do you guys pay employees for drive time when paying by the hour?
  2. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

we do but i think we need to re eveluate and possibly pay only 1 way...others are doing that....
  3. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

The minute my guys punch in is the minute they started getting paid from until they take their lunch break. Once their lunch break is over I will pay them til the end of the day when they punch out even if we have to drive an hour each way. After all my clients are paying for our drive time cause I figure that in when I give an estimate.
  4. dougaustreim

dougaustreim LawnSite Senior Member

By law, you have to pay them from the time they start working until they finish working. So the driver has to be paid. Riders do not have to be paid if they perform now work before leaving home base or after they return. If they are required to do any paperwork, unloading or anything like that after returning to the base, you have to pay them. Of course then you have to pary for any travel between job sites.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

i cant believe some things people ask and do. if you are not paying my then im going home and leaving your equipment sit were i am done with it.
  6. starscream

starscream LawnSite Member

Yes. We pay them for drive time. Happy employees lead to happy customers and so on.

Portland Landscape
  7. echeandia

echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member

8. Jim Bo

Jim Bo LawnSite Member

For me, I pay them one way. And I never stop at the store for them. If they don't bring there lunch, they go hungry.
  9. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Yea you have to pay them. Its not their fault your took on a client 45 minutes away each way. They're in your truck, driving to your job and have ZERO choice in the matter. The arrive at work at 8 am leave at 4 pm and you want to pay them for 6.5 hours because of where YOU found the work. Factor the travel time in your bid and pay your employees what you owe them.

As for you Jim BO, your all F-ing heart paying that one way. And a whole other level of scumbag for your comments on letting a guy eat. Gee, I bet if I search on here, I'll find a thread with you on here whining that you cant find any good help.
  10. Jim Bo

Jim Bo LawnSite Member

To CMerland. First of you wont find anything about me whining, because I don't whine and cry and I have had the same employees for 4 years. Second, I'm not heartless. I'm an employer who pays for labor. My employees are paid well, picked up at there home
    everyday, there given uniforms, a summer and winter bonus and a few times I actually paid there rent. P.S. when you find that thread your looking for, let me know, I'd love to read it.