pay for the broken window?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jun 13, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

cut his lawn 10:30 am saturday. i get a phonecall SUNDAY night. he says we broke his car window while mowing the lawn. not cracked, not chipped, but shattered. i call him back monday morning, he's out of state. i tell him i'll look at the window. he says no, he is out of state, he wont be back till tuesday morning, at which time he will be dropping the car off to get the window replaced. now, i use a 36" bobcat on his lawn, with a 14hp kawc engine, and gator blades. there are no rocks in the lawn, ever. even if there was......i don't think , with the blades at 3.5" high, would have picked it up. second, i think one of uis would have heard the window shatter, or seen the broken window, or at least the glass in the street. cum the alarm didn't go off? and 4th, why wasn't i called untill sunday night? all the family vehicles were there when we mowed, they were all home. you mean to tell me, nobody noticed? and why is he trying to not let me see the window? and yet also......i go over to look at the spot where the car was parked, and there is glass on the lawn, whick leads me to believe the impact came from the other side, and the window broke outward, instead of inward, which would have been the case if my rock hit it. somethings fishy, very fishy.
  2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Apolagize like hes your last customer. Pay for the new window and give him a free cut to smooth things over.
  3. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

4. LawnBoy89

LawnBoy89 LawnSite Senior Member

You kidding me? If I knew I didn't do it I sure as hell wouldn't pay for it.

Bobby are you certain you didn't do it?
  5. WoodBrothersLC

WoodBrothersLC LawnSite Senior Member

If you didn't have the chute on your walkbehind, the blades could have easily shot a rock at that angle. I have seen it in person.
  6. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Because Bobby, the customer is always right.

Of course you could always just beat some sense into him with your shovel.
  7. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

I think I would want some proof before I just "smoothed things over". I agree Bobby, sounds a little fishy. Normally if you break a window from the outside, the glass falls inward. It it appeared that most of the glass was in the yard, I'd say it was broked from the inside.
  8. Mowing Freak

Mowing Freak LawnSite Senior Member
    from S.E. Ks

I you have insurance then your adjuster is going to want to look at it. Then if he is trying to con you out of money, the adjuster will see that and maybe give him one chance to back out of the deal. I know a window don't cost that much but may save you a head ache in the long run and he may back out right there on the spot.

RKISTNER1 LawnSite Member

Is this why people have business insurance and police reports?
  10. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

Vic Morrow Combat avatar? Haven't seen him in a long time. I guess he lost his head.