1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pay for travel?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by McCord L & I, Jan 13, 2012.

1. McCord L & I

McCord L & I LawnSite Member

Looking at bidding a big maintenance account. The job would consist of at least 6 guys and be 4-5 days a week. The question is, do I need to pay some sort of wages for traveling to site? The jobsite is roughly 1 1/2 hours from the shop. They will be driving my trucks, so does that mean that I need to pay their wages once they leave the yard? I can see the traffic excuses now, "it took us 3 hours to get there, worked 8 hours boss, then took us 3 hours to get home, all week". Right now the way everything is set up with our accounts, it takes them 8 hours to travel and get everything done and I'm happy, their happy, customers are happy. Looking at going ALOT bigger in business with this account, just afraid to go broke with this one!

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

yes by law you have to pay them. its not their fault you took work so far away. if you bid it right you included travel time inthe bid.
  3. McCord L & I

Yeah......once I read this out loud to myself, I knew the answer.
  4. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

possible solution: Keep a truck and trailer in the city of the work, then rent a spot at a storage lot. Hire local employees from there to eliminate their drive time. It's a satellite office.
  5. McCord L & I

Wife and I were bouncing that around as well........there is a possibility that if we get this one, we will get another one of their large HOA's an hour and a half in the other direction. That one is 3x the size, so having a shop there and hiring locally was the no brainer on that one.

Glad I remembered this site, been reading for a couple of hours now, alot of great info! Easier to sit up late and read possible solutions to my business worries than lying in bed till 4 am thinking about how I'm going to do this:dizzy:
  6. idealscape2TD

idealscape2TD LawnSite Member

Hey man...I price and service several accounts like the one you mentioned. By law here in NC we only have to pay them one way. We pay everyone in the truck to go TO the job, but we only pay the driver back. Check out your states labor laws...it could end up saving you quite a bit of cash.
  7. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

That is ****** up. If I worked there and the drier was getting paid and I wasn't I would be pissed. Do most people operate that way? Or do some pay both ways.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

Why is that messed up? The driver is responsible for getting the crew to and from safely, so he needs to pay attention during drivetime. Hence, he's still working. The other crew members can nap, text, or BS on the drive. Seems fair to me...
    Posted via Mobile Device
  9. JBNC

JBNC LawnSite Member

Yeah everyone I know of does this, where I work we get paid on the way back though since when we get back we wash and load up. Mornings we just get there and head out.
  10. jslawnscape

jslawnscape LawnSite Member

I would pay for travel regardless of the laws. Do you (your company) perform work for free for your customers ? Are travel costs not factored in to your "home-town" jobs ?

Happy employees typically perform better than un happy employees. I can hear guys complaining now "that cheap **** isn't paying us to ride" and meanwhile they're thinking of how to work slower or take advantage of you. If they/you are sensible they/you know there is a reason why you took a job 1+hrs away.....and thats for the money.

If you don't want to pay them to ride don't expect them to do anything extra...(pick up that item in the yard before running over it, going the extra mile, etc.

Just my two cents, some of you will agree some won't.