Pay me now or pay me later...

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Oct 13, 2005.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Took these pictures two days ago when a "flood" occurred in the front of the new stadium complex that is a little over one year old. A 3" main line from the interior of the high school came into this area. However, it was not to be used because the irrigation water for the complex was coming from a 6" POC out on the athletic fields. This main line spur was supposed to be capped off 200' to the south in a dirt area that became parking lot. Looks like it wasn't done. We turned on an isolation valve that'd been shut down since the construction to do some R&D on new areas and the rest is history. It ran for 25 minutes before we discovered the flood and now they're worried about the concrete being undermined. During the Christmas break (no traffic) they're going to have a contractor come in and dig up the parking lot so we can cap this main off where it should have been already capped. This would have cost about $3.56 to cap off a year and a half ago now it's going to cost thousands. :rolleyes:

Community Stadium Main Leak WP-01.jpg

Community Stadium Main Leak WP-02.jpg

2. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

Ouch....it doe not look that bad. but the problem is thet you can't see the real damage..... I wonder if they could use the ground sonar to try to determine the extent of damage....

Have to snap some more pics as they dig to see how big a canyon was created..

3. PurpHaze

I'd be interested too and I'll try to be there when they do it. 120 GPM x 25 minutes = 3000 gallons. :blob3:

4. MarcSmith

What are doing up so late/early????

5. PurpHaze

I have to be at work at 6:30. Woke up out of the blue at 4 and knew I couldn't go back to sleep. Wife's 50th birthday today so maybe that's on my mind. Got her an AARP card. :D

6. MarcSmith

thats mean...I pulled a suprise 40th for the wife earlier this year....after assuring here i was not going through any trouble for her....

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

You better cone that area off until its fixed, that could develop into a nasty sinkhole.

8. PurpHaze

We all know there could be a problem underneath. However, with this being football season I doubt if the district wants anything to indicate that there are any problems with their new "jewel" of a stadium. That part of it is out of my hands and I have documented the situation.

9. PurpHaze

Speaking of holes created by irrigation breaks here's a couple of pictures taken this week of a broken 1-1/2" quick coupler line. This line was marked by me prior to the start of trenching for new sewer leach lines. The contractor apparently hit the line and repaired it himself. Then when the backfilling process was done care wasn't used to properly backfill/compact under the line. The line bowed from the weight of backhoe wheel packing and pulled out of his repair coupling long after he was gone. The break created a 3-1/2' deep hole sinking all the leach field lines backfill and generally creating a slick muddy area approximately 50'x125'. That area has now been taped off to allow drying and more backfill will have to be brought in to bring the area up to standards. :dizzy:

Packwood QC Line Break WP-01.jpg

Packwood QC Line Break WP-02.jpg

10. PurpHaze

Should of added that the repair (ss coupling and PVC compression coupling) was completed and our grounds guys brought out sand to backfill the hole. The sand was wetted as it was packed in increments and that area is now solid as a rock. They did a great job of following my instructions because I did not want a repeat of the break to occur.