Pay Pal as for payment?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by fga, Dec 3, 2005.

1. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

has anyone done this? i know pay pal is becoming increasing popular. you would be able to accept credit card easily and recieve payments instantly. its free to get, no machines needed for swiping or typing numbers over the phone.

i have it now for my ebay business, and i get numerous deopsits right into my account daily. i'd have to look closer at % costs.

any feedback?

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

<Table width="100%" bgcolor="#DDDDDF"><TR><TD><font color="#000000">Have a tax question? Need free business advice? Ask our experts. Click Here </font></TD></TR></Table>
    Hi fga,

Some seem to like it and others don't. I think it's great to offer your clients as many ways as possible to pay you but the downside is the % the credit card company takes.

<table width=100%>
    <tr bgcolor="#C0C0C0"><td align=left><a HREF="http://www.gophersoftware.com/?ref=1">Download and try Gopher Free for 30 days.</a><BR>See if we can help you.</td><TD align="center"></td><td>[​IMG]</td></tr></table>
    <center>Free Web Templates. Make your own logo Free.</center>

3. alwaysgreener

alwaysgreener LawnSite Member

We use it all the time it's on the first page of our web page..It's just a convenience for the customer..Also when doing large projects sometimes the customer cannot do a $2,000.00 job so they will put it on credit. Just remember to add in what pay pal will take from you.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Adam,
    IMO paypal does not project a professional image. There are no big companys that advertise paypal or you don't see there logos used or displayed.
    CC are relatively inexpensive to get and set up and the % charged is usually less than paypal.

5. alwaysgreener

What are you talking about?????:dizzy: If most of your clients pay with credit cards then fine set up the service, but if you have a few customers that want to use a credit card don't waste your money on the set up. And by the way most of your customers have a pay pal account and they feel they have control of there purchase when they use it. Pay Pal works

6. olderthandirt

from here

Really? I don't see when I walk into wal-mart , Sears , Home depot or any of the utility companys where they all have it posted that they accept paypal. Now if you noticed the companies I listed are all growing and are larger companies that want to project that image. If paypal works for you great, but keep in mind that if its works "great" it would be offered by all companies :dizzy:
    Also I believe that you have to fund paypal in most instances so its not a true credit company,

7. alwaysgreener

Ok...The company's you listed all establish credit with you if you fit there criteria. They do not need pay pal, they want you to use there credit card and make more money from you.. Pay Pal is just a middle man to collect money for small businesses without the setup fees and other hidden costs. Do you have your customers fill out a credit app and establish credit?? NO, you are considered unsecured credit. Your right larger companies don't use pay pal but for us pee ons it works great, why pay fees to an agency that you will only use a few times a year. pay pal is pay as you go.

8. olderthandirt

from here

The underlined makes no sense, That is what the CC does for me and there fees.
    So for a customer to use paypal they need to deposit there money into a paypal account and then you can draw it out as a creditor.
    According to QB I've done a little over 25K in cc this yr. That I would not have gotten if I did not accept the major cc. It allowed the customer to up grade and make the min. cc payments if that is what they choose. To me its worth the few dollar a month to be able to say I accept MC or Visa. If your happy with paypal great I hope it keeps working out for you, but I don't want my company associated with something thats popular with ebay people. But I'm done debating which is better so you can have the last word

9. GreenUtah

GreenUtah LawnSite Senior Member
    from SLC, UT

My two cents in here..PayPal fees run higher than most CC transactions, money out of YOUR pocket. Older, with a PayPal account, you can accept Visa and Mastercard, as well as letting people make direct payments to you through their own paypal accounts, etc. etc. I've sold a few pieces of equipment through ebay over the years and have had to setup an account with paypal so that people without a cc could make a payment through their checking account. I also used my merchant account through my bank for years for routine card processing and I will tell those of you who think that paypal is an easier, cheaper solution for the small business, it's not. You can do a search online for payment processors and find much lower fees or talk to your bank, if you have a business account. It's not nearly as difficult as you think it is and the fees (as a %) will be much lower. Let PayPal continue to cater to one or two time use payments and get something that works a little more cleanly and cheaply for your routine, everyday business.