Pay per lawn for help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by racer56, Dec 5, 2007.

1. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

Looking to add a few guys this next year and am trying to think of a different way to pay than the norm. We are small and don't have all the things a big company has to offer. We don't mow full time but would like to have a crew that does. I was thinking 5/ lawn to start and up from there. Seems it would give some insentive to stay moving. I don't like getting paid by the hour and don't like to pay that way either. Any other ideas? What would we do with the days we did clean ups and apps etc...

2. DuraCutter

DuraCutter LawnSite Senior Member

You don't like paying by the hour but that's the way 99% of employers do it. Unless you've found the holy grail, do like all the others do, there's a reason for it... any other way won't work. They'll do crap work, real fast and you'll find yourself checking each and every job...yadi yada...

I don't think you'll reinvent the way employees are paid just like reinventing the wheel is NOT really necessary.

Sounds like you may be short on money and are thinking of creative ways to run the business. A recipe for disaster that is... :rolleyes:

:)

3. shane mapes

shane mapes LawnSite Senior Member

my bus.partner likes to do the same thing ... be creative .pay by the job for clean ups and so on..i feel it is a waste and it screws the owner. starting in jan. mowing will be one wage and clean ups will be a little higher wage ..both by the hour .. can't pay a hourly employee a salary when you feel like it and a wage when you feel like it..if your going to be in the type of work do it right and legal. pay your taxes and insurance and hope to turn a profit.

4. racer56

racer56 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Kansas

I got the idea from a friend of mines wife. She is a big wheel at a national chain motel and that is how they pay to clean the rooms I guess. The performance pay is just that, pay for performance not sloppy work. Coming from a previous sales background I was paid and paid my sales guys on performance. Service guys had a very similar pay formula. Everyone is really paid on performance when it comes right down to it. No performance, no job.

Sounds like you may be short on money and are thinking of creative ways to run the business. A recipe for disaster that is...

I'm not trying to pay folks less I'm trying to pay them more. At the same time on a bad day not get beat up. With our properties a guy just starting should make 15/ hour no problem staying after it. How many guys start at this rate of pay? I want to add quality guys not quantity guys. Quantity guys are cheap and won't stay around long. I want 2-3 well paid guys that want a perm. home. Just looking for a way to pay them on a % of what is coming in.

5. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Paying by the job is more like subcontracting, If you went this way you can save yourself a ton in insurance

Of corse they wold no longer be empoyees

6. DavisLawn

DavisLawn LawnSite Member

i too would be interested in hearing you guys ideas on this... i have a guy who works for me and he's great .. i'd like to be able to keep him and pay him more when i make more.... i thought about a certain % of what i make PER DAY.... say if u make 500 on Monday... give him x%..... if you have a down day or decide to only work half a day and make 300.... just pay him x% of that...... thing is.... whats a fair %?

7. leafitalawn

leafitalawn LawnSite Member

for us it's 15% for helper, 18% crew chief.

8. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

OMG this just keeps getting better.

That my friend is called Profet sharing, And with-out being Public......

It's against the law......

9. DavisLawn

thats about what i was thinking leaf... but i didnt wanna sound too cheap or too high, never paid like that before so i had no idea what the goin rate was

10. DavisLawn

what is really funny is your spelling you condescending a'hole.