Pay Raise Schedule

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by EagleLandscape, May 4, 2008.

1. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Well, I finally bit the bullet and decided to hire a crew leader. This will a) allow me to work less than the current 80+ hours a week. b) free up my time to gain new customers, and hopefully start a dedicated installation/enhancement crew c) spend time working on my new house over the summer.

I'm starting the guy at 14 an hour (he used to work for me a few years ago).
    Great guy, super clean appearance, well spoken, great customer service. I still have customers ask me about him to this day.

What type of pay raise scale do you all use. My goal is to have this guy join my company at ground level, and eventually turn his position into a 50k-100k salary for overseeing everything in the long run.

Any advice? Never done this before.

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Realistically, how soon would you like to see him at that 50k-100k? Will it all be in hourly pay? Change to salary? Or are there bonuses that will get him there? I'm not really answering your questions, but it seems like a long ways to go from $14 hr.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. If the guy has the qualifications to be a crew leader, why are you starting him at what could be considered high end laborer wages?

4. EagleLandscape

Yes, years down the road it will be at that point. Exact date, I am not sure. I would like to gross a million in sales within the next 2 years. If he was making 50k, he would be overseeing approx 5+ crews.

But, I am inexperienced in this, that is why I am seeking yalls help:).

At 14 an hour now, he will be running the maintenance crew and doing small landscape installs to free up my time. I need time to meet with new customers, and begin another crew.

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

So am I, which is why I can't help too much. :)

My main tech is at 30k for 9 months of work. Which is about $20 hr. This is his 6th season. But our markets and rates are different than yours too. Just wanted to give a little comparison.

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Seems low to me for running a crew, maintenance or not.

Personally, I might take a step back and consider what a crew chief is supposed to do. IMHO, 1 guy running 5 crews (and 5 jobs) is begging for disaster. You need a crew chief for each crew. I think what you have outlined above would fall under job(s)/field supervisor, not crew chief.

7. EagleLandscape

Right now he would be crew chief. Labor and supervision. Later on down the road he would be crew supervisor over many crews.

8. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

How many hours a week? How many weeks per year?

Oh, I ask about right now (ground level?) and for the ultimate goal.

9. Just to give you an idea John of what you are competing with for labor. My top service guy made 58,000 last year. I'd rather do his job that be a foreman overseeing multiple crews and landscape projects.

10. nylan8888

nylan8888 LawnSite Member

YOU are the only one who can decide this. It should be based on his contribution to the company. General sales, sale of upgrades while installing or repairing (some techs think they are only supposed to do what they are sent there for, not look for other opportunities to upsell ), decision making skills, leadership qualities, ability to effectively train subordinates, how much you have to hold his hand etc. It will come gradually and you will know it is right based upon your dependency on him, his skills, your bottom line and his contribution to it.