Pay range for Spray Techs?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RCA, Jul 12, 2006.

1. RCA

RCA LawnSite Member

Hey guys,
    Business is good! Looking at hiring another guy within a year. Not really sure what the pay range (high to low) is for Spray Techs. What do guys start out making? What do experienced Spray Techs make? How are Spray Techs paid (hourly or production)?
    Also, what do most companies expect from their techs as far as production is concerned. I've heard anywhere from $800 to $1000 per day.
    Obviously, I've got a lot of research to do before bringing anybody else on board... but there's a lot of great info available on this forum and I'd appreciate any and all feedback.
    Thanks,
    RCA

2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

200k a day pushing spreader/pulling hose is reasonable to expect, and still not go in overtime. (of course this is depending on how tight his route is) pay has been discussed on here before, and i stand firm on commission, however, base hourly/salary + comm is good also. i worked for scotts lawn service 4yrs ago, and they paid me $450wk salary+ comm + bounus + route retension + company retention. the way they did their overtime was a mess to figure out. now i work for a smaller commercial landscape company and make strait hourly (kinda hard to pay somebody commision on your own contracts). if you find a licensed tech that has more then just a RT (basic license), say has a 3b (lawn tech) and has had it for several years and HAS STEADY WORK HISTORY then i would say $15hr. remember you get what you pay for (well,sometimes).

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I have 8 applicators. Each makes between $450 - $525 per week plus 2% production commission per week. Daily production averages between $500 - $1000 per day. We work 5 1/2 days a week March, April, May & early June + Sept, Oct, Nov. We do not work weekends during the summer. 3 1/2 months (during the winter) the guys receive weekly unemployment checks (averaging about $300). We run 6 guys for snow removal which adds to their unemployment pay. We offer paying 1/2 their health insurance too.

Note: the above does not include "rain days" and the salaries are are in "gross" amounts (before taxes and child support).

Hope this helps. (Des Moines, IA)

4. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

americanlawn, i have heard that the layoff over winter has caused problems in the past w/ employee retention, has this been a problem for you? just wondering.. also, do you keep your top producer over the winter, or lay him off also?