Pay rate for inexpeienced employees

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by NewHorizon's Land, Apr 18, 2007.

1. NewHorizon's Land

NewHorizon's Land LawnSite Senior Member

I had a call today from a "spanish speaking" guy and said he didnt care what I paid him he just need some work on the weekends. I was thinking on paying him $7.75 is this enough or too much? Being as far backed up as I can imagine I said OK you start Saturday and see how it goes. He has very little mowing experience which is where he will be starting. I have big jobs I need to do that require two mowers. I dont think he will learn how to use one quick enough and there is not enough weedeating. Should I try him on the mower and see how it works?

Thanks
    Justin

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I was just thinking $7.50, I think that's fair, raises depending on learning curve.

3. NewHorizon's Land

Thank you.

4. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Um did it ever occur to you this guy is almost for sure an illegal? You're paying him to drag down our industry. One year from now he'll probably leave you and steal your clients right out from underneath you for immigrant labor rates.

Do us all a favor and call the INS.

5. NewHorizon's Land

If he is an illegal the construction company he works for should know this to. I refer to him as "spainish speaking" cuz I dont know his nationallity.

6. 1cooltreeguy

1cooltreeguy LawnSite Senior Member

Man I wish I could get away wit paying $7.50 to inexperienced guys. WOW

7. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

amen... at $15/hr I can't get any takers around here...

8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That is in the ballpark that we start our H2B guys that don't have any experience in lawn business. We have found that a new guy can usually be more productive on the mower than trimming. One of our new guys that just came over was a fork truck driver for some company last year.

9. NewWave

NewWave LawnSite Member

We start our new guys at $8.00 an hour. We woldnt be in business at $15.00 an hour. Our project manager is at $17.00 an hour.

10. Patatoe1

Patatoe1 LawnSite Member

We started a new guy last year at $10 an hour. He was told if his learning curve was high, he would be moved up to $12 an hour after two weeks.