pay rate????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grasscutt, Apr 8, 2002.

1. grasscutt

grasscutt LawnSite Member

I am getting ready to hire two people. one will be a college boy with no experience? What pay should I start him at? I will be hiring one more person who does have some experience but not much. I want to be fair to try to get someone to stick around for a while can someone suggest pay rate?

2. shearbolt

shearbolt LawnSite Member

Start $7.50 Top out at $9-$10

3. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure you could find many college kids willing to work for $6.50 an hour, if they do good work bring em to about $9 or $10 an hour and they'll stay.

Hank

4. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

How have you hired them without telling them what they'll make. If they took the job without even asking. Then that means they will work for cheap. start them out at $6 and see what happens. or ask them what they think is fair for starting pay.

Soupy

5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

I am going back to starting low. The last two years I hired a friend and trying to be nice to him paid him $10. He was totally ungrateful, and ended up walking out on me without any communication what so ever, right in the middle of a job. So now I am starting at $7 and will let the guy work up.
    My advice would be don't do any favors, start every body at the bottom and let them prove themselves.

This is so interesting to me, because today while working I was thinking of putting the same post up tonight.

6. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

I wish i could find guys to work for $6.00 or $7.00 an hour. When Mc d's and Taco Bell are paying $8.00 per hour it raises everything. I have one crew leader I'm paying $15.00 per hour. I've got two new guys starting on the 15th. They are starting out at $11.50 to trim and blow.

7. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

I would think that rates would vary greatly with location . What is your minimum wage there? Possibly a couple more bucks than that for no experience.

8. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I start at $8 for Cutting and $10 for landscaping. But I also have never hired a guy without descussing pay during the interview. Maybe next time I'll feel the guy out and if he doesn't mention pay by the end of the interview and still wants the job, Then I'll tell him starting is $6 and see what happends.

Soupy

9. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

The low pay scale has not touched our minimum wage in years. The only people around here that work for minimum wage is tipped employees

The last time I heard the minimum wage was $5.35 per hour.

10. AK Lawn

AK Lawn LawnSite Member

I am starting my field workers at $7-8 pending on experience, and my crew leaders get anywhere from 9 to 15$ with benefits, % of profits made by there crew and productivity, also pending on equip. and other conditions, this is only for one of my crew leaders and will see if it works, it is not a high percentage, and it is only net profits after all expenses are covered
    AK Lawn