pay rates for employees

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bob the king, Mar 31, 2008.

1. bob the king

bob the king LawnSite Member

how much do you pay employees? These are some of my wages.

labor $12-15 hr

forman $15- 19 hr

production manager $50000 /yr

customer service sales $50000/ yr

I think this is fair to high put wanted to check with some other LCOs

2. MJS

MJS LawnSite Bronze Member

That does sound pretty high. When I used to work for another company I was paid $11/hour.
    One of my buddies pays $10/hour for labor, and $16.50/hour for foremen - that's about as much as I know, since I haven't ventured out into the "hiring world" yet. haha all in good time.

3. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

Here in SW Florida typical pay is around $8 an hour and a foreman, about $12. I pay my guy who has been with me 7 months $10 an hour. I pay him a bonus for no missed days or lates each month, $250.00.

4. bob the king

thanks for the feed back. I would greatly appreciate some more. I try to hire and keep the best. However I dont want to be to far out of line with pay.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

my general laborers and maint guys get $17.50 an hour and foremen $22.50 an hour

6. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

I googled "Median Wage Lawn Maintenance Alabama" and came up with a site that showed me that the average for non-supervisor groundskeeper and landscaper was $9.26 an hour.

Our guys start at $7 and have gone up to $9. I Think one is looking at a raise.

It really depends on your area an what other Lawn companies are paying. You want to be reasonable close to average. Unless you just can't afford to pay more than min. wage. And face it, this is hard work.

Ask around and try to find out what other lawn care workers are getting paid per hour.

Or google it, and adjust it according to your own town/city. Obviously, someone in Birmingham or Mobile will pay more than we do here in Podunk.

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I just put my main sprinkler tech on salary at $30k for 9 months of work. Basically 40 weeks at 40 hours equals 1600 hours. $30,000 divided by 1600 hours equals $18.75 hour. I had him at $18 an hour last year. This is the start of his 7th year.

8. MowHouston

MowHouston LawnSite Bronze Member

I was curious about this same thing last year.

I called a lawn company in Dallas that had an ad saying they were hiring and asked how much they start their laborers at and they said $6.80 and a pay increase to $7-something after 90 days... Ick

On my end, I have hired a few part time guys here and there at $9 - $10/hr.

9. bob the king

how do you guys view employees? just short term help or long term team members who can grow with your business?

10. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

Loose the production manager that is a ******** position