Pay rates for lawncare workers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by indy2tall, Sep 25, 2006.

How much do you pay your lawncare employees?

1. Under $10 per hour

29 vote(s)
  2. $10 to $15 per hour

46 vote(s)
  3. $15 to $20 per hour

9 vote(s)
  4. $10 to $15 per hour plus benifits

1 vote(s)
  5. $15 to $20 per hour plus benifits

0 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to be hiring my first employee next year and I am curious what the average rate of pay is for lawncare employees. Thanks for participating.
  2. indy2tall

indy2tall LawnSite Senior Member

come on folks
  3. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

It's bedtime. :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:
  4. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

$9-11 to start depending on your area. If you pay less than this, its your own fault for what you get.
  5. jsf343

jsf343 LawnSite Bronze Member

I pay based on the position we have open and the skill the guy brings. The guy we just hired in has little to no experience so he is starting at $8.50, he already has quickly learned how to operate everything and even line edges fairly well. He has a good work ethic, listens and makes few mistakes. (so far)
    all in all he is a great find and deserving of more money which he will get in 6 months, maybe before. It is worth the trouble to pay a bit more to keep someone good in my opinion.
  6. jsf343

by the way, this really is true. It comes down to area and what is available in the workforce as far as finding someone decent. the old saying "good help is hard to find" is soooooooooo true.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$12 to start and then $17.50 when they are up to full speed (a week or two usually). After 90 days 5 personal days and 1/2 major medical compensation should they choose.
  8. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Like someone said, I Think it's going to depend on where you are located. I certainly can't afford what Rodfather is paying but his market seems to be a lot more than ours. Our average lawn is paying $25.00 per time and the average worker (new-little to no experience) is making $7.00-$8.00 to start.
  9. dlm17

dlm17 LawnSite Member

10-13 here i talkto the other guys in the area to make sure im competitive but if you find a good one take care of him they are hard to find
  10. jsf343

Personal days? Medical? who do you use for the medical?