1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

pay rates?

Discussion in 'Employment' started by wildstarblazer, Mar 10, 2010.

1. goodolboyslandscaping

goodolboyslandscaping LawnSite Member

Wow! I would be out of business if I payed my workers that wage. I understand everyone deserves the right pay, but high teens and 20s an hour for a laborer is insane. I hired my oldest boy as a crew leader and he is not even making $20/hr lol....:rolleyes:

2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

But what if this worker could come in to your company and save you 1hr/man/day on your basic mow/edge/blow? What if this worker could come in and save you hundreds of hours/year on weeding? What if over the course of the maintenance year this worker could save you over a thousand hours in man hours in work that was already quoted, would he then not be worth $20/hr?

3. goodolboyslandscaping

goodolboyslandscaping LawnSite Member

Its not that he is not worth $20/ per hour, its that we cannot afford to pay laborers $20/per hour. I do however, give my workers bonuses and incentives.

4. deerewashed

deerewashed LawnSite Senior Member

one of my moms guys gets payed 32 an hour....but he is pretty much second in command and runs all the excavators and backhoes and loaders and such

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Construction labourers usually get 17-20 per hour landscapers labourers are around 15-18 dollars per hour. You can't live in most areas on Coastal B.C. for less than 20 per hour. Pay a person 10 dollars per hour you end up with some kid that doesn't know what work is.

Landscapers that pay less than 15-16 dollars per hour can't keep employees the employees can't afford to live on it.

6. Crash

Crash LawnSite Member

We pay our general laborers around $12-15 an hour. Foreman can be around $18 an hour. We have one guy who's been here for 16 years, he gets $21 an hour. Plus if WE have a good year...YOU have a good year(bonuses). So if you work hard, you will be rewarded.

7. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

What are you Northeast guys paying your employees? Especially people in CT-

8. Fawcett

Fawcett LawnSite Member

I'm a foreman and 2nd in command. I get $19/hr.

9. Total Grounds Maintenance

Total Grounds Maintenance LawnSite Member

Here in NJ you won't find many if any paying more than 12 an hour for mow and blow guys. Now the guys that are like the forman will pay 30's - 40's a year and are pretty much running everything except billing and purchasing equipment. BUT most of theses guys eventually go out and open their own biz anyway.

10. capecodjon

capecodjon LawnSite Member

I agree, A lot depends on geography and customer base too.
    High end customers demand quality, well-spoken workers, who ideally are paid accordingly.