pay travelling/pickup time?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jul 20, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i currently pick my guys up. they live about 5 min away, and i pick them up at thier homes. depending on traffic, and the direction i'm headed for the first job, this may cost me 20 minutes sometimes. no big deal. my question is, should they get paid from the minute they get in the truck, till the minute they leave the truck at days end? if i shave a quarter hr from each guy, that amounts to 2.5 hrs per week @$15 = a savings of $37.50 per week. what is fair?

2. IN2MOWING

IN2MOWING LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

1) Why do you pick them up?

2) Once they are "on" your property they should be on the clock.

3. Howard Roark

Howard Roark LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

If they were driving themselves you wouldn't pay them to drive to your house or the first prop. And people don't get paid at companies until they're inside ready to work. I say start paying when you hit the first prop. if you're paying hourly. Or pay by the job.

4. IN2MOWING

IN2MOWING LawnSite Member
    from Zone 6

So if they are at your shop doing work first thing in the morning they dont get paid?

5. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

my guys get 100% travel time in company vehicles.. From the time they clock in at the shop until the time they leave at the end of the day, they are getting paid.. With exception of deductions for lunch and breaks, etc..

6. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are kidding right? My guys get paid from time they get to shop (8am), till time they leave (usually 4 pm). If they are standing around, I will find something for them to do.

7. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

In CT the labor laws state that you must pay someone the moment the get in the vehicle unless the pre-arranged start location is the first jobsite and they are unable to get transportation, then they are not allowed to help load truck, touch tools, etc.

This is more applicable to construction where you would have contractors driving themselves to sites on a daily basis and stay on the site, not bounce from location to location with something like mowing.

8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Once they touch your property, they become yours, so you need to pay them. how do you keep track of the time? Write it down? You need hard copies in the event of an accident....because you will have to cover them as well!!CYA

9. smullen

smullen LawnSite Member

If your picking them up, I'd say from the time you hit the 1st Job or get back to your shop if they are going to be working there for awhile...

Its kind of a nit picky thing, but they need to be flexable too... How many Jobs are gonna come pick you up...

My current office job tells me to be there at 8:00am, I get paid from 8- not from when I get in my truck (a company provided truck) and start driving....

Every job, I've applied for one of the qualifying questions was, do you have a dependable way to work and back?

They phrase it like that as in Missouri, an employeer can't ask if you have or own a vehicle...

If they did, someone could cry that they were descriminated against for not owning a vehicle...

10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The meter starts once I see their smiling face and ends when I see the back of their head walking to their cars.