Pay up front! or no mow for you.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by exmarklover, Feb 18, 2004.

1. exmarklover

exmarklover LawnSite Member
    from midwest

OK, how many of you guys make people pay up front? I have run a video production company for 4 years now and every person or company pays me ALL up front before I even break out the equipment, now having said that I am mowing some commercial lots, and from the way I understand it most of you bill after the job is done. Does anyone bill a week of month in advance to protect you from getting ripped off? And I don't want to hear you have a contract because I have been down that road and you do not all ways win (some lie in the Court room! Shocking I know). Just some thoughts please.

2. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

neaver thought of it. i never pay for anything up front

3. exmarklover

exmarklover LawnSite Member
    from midwest

a lot of utilities make you pay a month up front.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Thats the one thing about this mowing thing that sucks:mad: If we got together and demanded payment up front it would be alot better.
    I think you will have a hard time doing it because of all the losers in this business.
    John

5. WeatherMan

WeatherMan LawnSite Senior Member

dont think you will find to many customers that way

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Pay up front? You're kidding, right? Hell, I can't get most of them to pay on time...

7. sproutlscape

sproutlscape LawnSite Member

I do have 1 doc's office that pays up front for mowing. Get ride of the part-time guys, losers, non-tax payers in this business and just maybe the real businesses owners could demand something like this.

8. yz250fpilot

yz250fpilot LawnSite Member

I had a customer last year that paid me monthly in advance. It was nice to not have to worry about collections on that account. I know it worried me when I left a bill at one customer's home and saw a notice that his utilities were turned off due to non-payment. However, I was promptly paid by him. Some people slacked on their timeliness for payment, but I have not had a "non-payer" yet. The first one I get .......gets a salted lawn. :) Advance payments would be nice. They would alleviate all worries.

9. Just Cut

Just Cut LawnSite Member

I have been receiving advanced payments for a couple of years, Why should I spend extra time chasing money around. no pay no mow:)

10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I get about 25% of my customers to pay up front for the season in advance. Other than that, I make 'em put down a deposit if they continually pay late.