Pay your $#@&%* bills

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Tharrell, Jul 2, 2006.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I was at my dealer the other day and was surprised to learn that a landscaper I respected had owed them a lot of money. They had to track him down at a fastfood place at lunchtime to get their money. I guess the reason I'm posting this is, it's not the first seemingly responsible business owner that's owed them a lot of money. I've heard some stories you'd find incredible. They are a great place to do business and I'm lucky to have such a great dealer in my area. I just don't understand how some of these guys can do that to someone who bends over backwards for them.
    I have a monthly bill for incidentals that I try to get paid BEFORE the statements go out.
    I'm sure it's the same across the country. You don't really know people until you know how they handle their obligations.
    These dealers are usually small business owners just like us and, they can't afford to carry everyone all the time.
    If you owe YOUR dealer any money, get it paid. Your relationship with them will be really good.

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

There not bending backwards there bending forwards and thats what happens when you let someone put you in that "position" :waving:

3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I know what you mean, but watch this:

Business owners as a whole are TWICE as likely to stiff you vs. non-biz owners.

Sad, but it's true, every last one of them but there are good ones in between.

As for me, I pay my bills but with commercial bills I can and do take advantage of the delay I'm allowed, so I will float 30-60 days and then pay it via credit card which gives me another couple of weeks :)

With equipment, if I can get 12-mos no interest / no payments, why not?
    With advertisers, 30 day delay is a rule, 60-90 days is not unusual (and yes, that's me paying).
    Reasoning is, I have to close enough deals to pay for it, and by closed I mean my customer's check has to clear the bank.
    I can't stand it when an advertiser hounds me after 2 weeks.
    It's a test of their strategy, when I tell them they will likely get paid after I deposit enough checks...
    Some get really nervous, that's a red flag to me, how secure are you in your ads?

Because pay I do, always.
    Generally speaking, 30-60 days, with the good guys, once it's due 60, PAID!
    And you will get paid before 90 days goes by, but 85 may pass...

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I also have a great dealer that I've been going to for years. I always pay my bills right away, that's why they will fix my machines right away....The guys that string them along for money....not so fast. I feel that it just boils down to the old saying about treating others as you would like to be treated. I hate having to wait for my money.

5. AAELI

AAELI LawnSite Senior Member

It sounds as though you are the one you talk about in your first sentence.
    Business owners as a whole are TWICE as likely to stiff you vs. non-biz owners.

Remind me why you are actually in business?

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

At MY dealer, anything under $1000 is paid for and NOT on a floor plan. Now THEY may have a grace period with their suppliers but, I don't know so I pay BEFORE the statements go out. Generally every 3-4 weeks.
    It's more of a convenience for both of us most of the time. I don't have to pay for small change incidentals and they don't have to pay the CC charge for a very small charge that would likely wipe out any profit made on such items.
    Now, if I ever have a major incident like an engine or some big ticket item. They would work with me while it's paid for.
    That's the difference between me and a lot of other commercial cutters they deal with. I've been told that I'm on a short list, and I like it a lot.
    It's the right thing to do. That's why I do it.

7. PROCUT1

PROCUT1 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from TN

So is it fair if a your customer holds you out for 90 days?

Would you cut off service if they were that past due or send them to collections?

On the other hand, you do mention you are fond of marking up peoples credit that dont pay (I am too) but what if that advertiser marked up yours for the 90 day past due bill? Would you be mad or would you understand and agree where he is coming from?

8. olderthandirt

from here

topsites-ism II
    I would say I don't know 98% of what this business involves

9. Green-Pro

Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member

You freakin crack me up Mac! LMFAO!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

10. olderthandirt

from here

I can't take credit for it. Its just a C&P from the author and its the truth. :laugh: