1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Pay yourself first

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Scotty, Oct 3, 2000.

1. Scotty

Scotty LawnSite Member

Just wondering how many of you are planning on cutting untill retirement and if anyone has started saving for it with IRA or other means. I've read in past threads that guys are working 7 days a week and having a hard time making money. I don't know if their joking or what, I would like to believe most people in this business are making money and saving for their future.

2. lawncutters

lawncutters LawnSite Member

Yes i have a IRA. Start one today if you wait until you think you can you never will.Start small snd give it a raise every year it will surprise you how fast it grows and how little you miss it.
  3. chrisbolte

chrisbolte LawnSite Member

Try the roth ira will benifit you in the long run. You pay the tax upfront but you dont pay on you returns. Where a regular ira you dont pay upfront but you will pay later. You will make much more money on your returns.
  4. stick9

stick9 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm planning for retirement. I started an IRA 4 years ago and put in 2 grand a year. By the time I'm done, there should be a nice chunk of change hanging out waiting for me.

5. HealthyLawns

HealthyLawns LawnSite Member

I can't see working till you're 60-something and then depending on Unc Sam to pay the bills. I put money away consistantly, and hope to have plenty when I retire (40 years away!!).
  6. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

My wife and I have 2 IRA's and her company 401k plan we are in our early 30s real tight now but by 60s we will be well off.
  7. Dingo

Dingo LawnSite Member
    from TN

Im 18 and started a roth IRA. Each year I set aside 2K to drop into it and I plan to keep doing that until im 59 and then i will take my million dollars and have some real fun. Did i hear a proposal to increase the amount you can put into it or was i just dreaming?

8. morturf

morturf LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I see that you are all looking to the future. This is really a great thing. If you are in business for yourself and do this full time you really need more than just the 2000 that an regular or roth IRA will give you. If you can afford to put more away you should look a little deeper into another investment strategy. I have set up a SIMPLE IRA which would allow me to set aside up to $12000 a year before taxes. The formula is that you can set aside 3% up to $6000 maximum and the company can match what you set out up to the $6000. This is available at most financial institutions. There is nothing that has to be filed with the government other than what goes on the 1040. When you set this up you must make it available to your employees with the same rules. There are some other criteria that can be changed and I have given maximum amounts alloted. There are other factors that must be taken into account and your taxman should be able to tell you about those (especially if you have a pension plan from another income source). There are other vehicles like a SEP IRA,or a keogh plan. Don't be drawn into the IRA only thing. There are many other ways to save for your retirement.
  9. Scotty

Scotty LawnSite Member

Its refreshing to see some of you are planning for your future, rather than waiting until your 55 and you only have $1000.00 saved.

Morturf, I just started the Simple IRA last year. This is a great plan to complement our IRA and monthly savings plan. I'm really trying to save now to give myself the option to retire at 56 or 57. In 20 years I'll know if it worked.
  10. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

To you young guys...

Don't get me wrong, saving younger is better, but relying only on a $2000/year IRA is not going to cut it. Sure, when you are 65 you will have over a million, BUT, 45 years from now, a million dollars will not buy as many goods and services as it will today.

Also, keep in mind that you cannot spend that million. If you do, you will not have any money left working for you making interest. The interest is what you will have to live off of.

So, in reality, in 45 years, you will need more than a million just to sustain the same lifestyle as you had prior to retirement.

I think that everyone should see a chart that I saw years ago, called the "Cost of procrastination". It detailed dollar amounts of saving $X starting at age 18, 24, 30... It is amazing the difference that a few years can make.

Bottom line is, The more, the eairler, the better.