paying by the job VS by the hour

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by griffy77, May 3, 2006.

1. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

I have one guy working with me right now and I pay $8hr with an incentive of a dollar raise after 60 days and another raise toward the end of the year. He is the best I have had so far and is never late and works his ass off.

My buddy on the other hand pays his weedeater guy $10 for every yard they do. At the end of the day he may end up paying over a $100 where I only pay $72.

I dont want to seem like a cheap boss but what do you guys think. Is it better to pay by the job or hour?

Pay by the hour you have to worry about clock watchers. Pay by the job then quality is an issue because they may be in a hurry to get to the next job so they can make more money for more jobs and not worry about the quality.

What do you guys think?

2. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

look after this guy.there are many ways to look after a worker besides pay .only put up his hourly rate if he produces.if you have an accountant ask him.it is only 60 days too. so see how he is going after your season finishes.see how is mentally and physically .what are his plans for the future also

3. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I have had employees for over 5 years now and have never had to worry about guys working slow to make more money. Maybe I have been lucky there but it seems most just want to get done and go home. In fact more frequently I have had to tell them to slow down and make sure they were not making any mistakes.

4. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

well the guy quit today!!

We were working and I turned around and he wasnt there anymore. He just walked off the jobsite. WTF? I called him asked what his problem was and he told me that he was being worked too much. Take in mind we only work 40 hrs. THis guy lasted a month. Get this, he calls back tonight and wants to come back to work. I tell him to take the rest of the week off and think about what he really wants to do and come back monday.

Iam so desperate that i actualy offered to take him back. Its harder than hell to find a descent employee. People around here just dont want to work. Even he admited that it wasnt the pay its just he was getting burnt out.

Iam tempted to call marcus drake and get a mexican. I believe that those guys really want to work. I live in redneck country and there is no mexicans around here other than at mexican restaurants. I hope that doesnt sound racist but I believe a mexican is more willing to work than alot of americans so why not hire one that would love to have a job. Iam sick of baby sitting people that dont want to work.

5. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

You get what you pay for!

$8/hr! WTF? Thats under Au$10/hr for workin hard outdoors under the sun etc etc! Fark that! Been there myself back in the day!

Better money makes hard work easier! Weather they say it or not!

6. lawnartisan

lawnartisan LawnSite Member

I live in so cal and 99.9 percent of LCO's are mexican workers and owned. There like my bretherend. Atleast the residential end of it. Being new makes bidding hard because theres a ton of us little guys competing, especially all the new guys with pick up trucks and sears mowers. I live in a boom town. Farm fields selling up land to the housing tracks.

7. griffy77

griffy77 LawnSite Member

for this area $8hr is good pay, and that is just starting out. I am going to pay some dude $10 starting out that has no experience. All the LCOs around here start out at minium wage. There is no weed eater guy around here at least making $10hr. As far as i know I pay better than any other LCO. Take in mind we live in a very poor state, this aint NJ.

8. Mickhippy

Griff, The 60 day then more pay isnt a good incentive I think! Think about it, That 2 mths of hard labourer!

Ive had a few drinks this arvo so I may of come across a bit harsh, didnt mean to!

You may want to think about shortening the "learning period!" to say a month and put the rate up some. Tell them it will keep going up the more they learn etc etc. Give an incentive to hang in there and a goal to aspire too!

Heres a little story... Back in the day, I was a foreman of a real landscape co'. I was 23/24yr old and incharge of multi million dollar work sites. Had 10 guys and a mulitude of machinery going all the time. Preasure was on ME to make it all happen! I was getting payed .50c/hr more than the newest labourer!
    I Had it out with the boss and he offered another .50c/hr. I took it and 3 weeks later (xmas) I quit!
    I had no incentive to keep going! I was making this guy BIG dollars and all worksite preasure was on me!
    Why the hell should I put up with all the cr@p if Im not payed for it?

Point is, sure, theres a learning pay. First mth keep it low but give them something to work for. Up the pay as warrented to the max you can afford!
    Why do people work? To make money! If there not making what there worth they will figure it out and you may loose a potential good employee/ crew leader!

Hope all that made sence! Sorry its such a long post! Been drinkin! lol

9. Mickhippy

Screwed up!

10. PGA

PGA LawnSite Senior Member

Im sure there are pros and cons to pay by the job or hour. My biggest concern about paying by the job would be guys running through the yards to try and get more done and mistakes/complaints start piling up. In the long run it will hurt you.

Stick with hourly.

BTW, $8.00 an hour for a job that an untrained highschool kid can do isnt as bad as most people are saying.