Paying customers for referrals?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by McKeeLand, Oct 11, 2007.

1. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

Was toying with the idea of offering a incentive program to my existing customers for referrals. I already pay for them from a refferal company, why not to my customers who's referrals are priceless. I thought i could offer a monetary amount or a credit towards any future projects that they might have us do. Just not sure of how it might come off to them. What do you guys think?

2. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

I think it's a great idea, however discounts on future projects may not appeal to most. Maybe a Gift Cert. to a local restaurant or something of that nature.

Chris

3. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

10% of the signed amount towards their next service.

4. McKeeLand

That would never work for us, some of are jobs are over $50k that would be $5000 dollars! :cry:

5. Chilehead

Chilehead LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Stockbridge, GA

I was thinking of doing a referral program myself:$25.00 gift card/closed lead.

6. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

I have been doing a $50 gift card for anyone who gives me a lead that turns into a sale. All my customers allow me to leave one of my signs in their yard and i tell them that I will give them a $50 gift card for each deal i close from someone who saw their yard sign and called me. I have one customer who has had my sign in his yard for 5 months and has gotten 4 gift cards. I have found that if a customer calls me because they either saw my work or were refered by a friend, i have a much better chance of closing the deal, so I don't mind kicking out a few bucks for each job. It pays for it self. Some times if i have a customer in a hot spot with a lot of traffic coming by their house, i will give them a card every now and then even if i have not gotten a referal and tell them that i did, just so that they will leave their sign up a little longer. Heck, they love it and so does my bank account.

7. McKeeLand

I like the gift card idea, its more personal of a touch. i wasn't real comfortable righting a check to any of my customers, kinda changes the dynamic of are relationship. i also like the incentive to keep our sign up on there yard.

8. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

The key to the sign McKee is to make is small and inconspicuous location so that it doesn't look tacky. check out my website and you will see my sign in a few of my yards. I have a large realtor size sign that says "Pardon our Mess" with my logo on it, then when we are done, i put in the little sign and tuck it in with the landscape. i can't stand those big signs that a lot of people put out and so do most customers, which means they pull it up shortly after you leave.

9. SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES

10. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Mckee, Your customers are probably more loyal than you think. I find people enjoy bragging about work done at their property, more often than not, its probably just an easy conversation topic. If you want to offer the incentive, go for it. I think you should just try asking them for the referral's, they might not need any persuasion. It's close to the end of the season, try it with out the gift-cards and see what it gets you for the fall. If there is little response, try the gift card approach in the early spring. my $ .02