1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Paying Employees for new accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn Cruiser, Feb 7, 2001.

1. Lawn Cruiser

Lawn Cruiser LawnSite Member

I am sure there has been many post on this subject but in my doing a search I couldn't find anything. I am wondering how any of you reward an employee for getting you a new account. I have an employee this year that has several accounts lined up for me and I didn't have to do anything, he did all the work. So how can I make employees want to help get new accounts to benifit my business?
  2. Greenman2ooo

Greenman2ooo Banned

If they are residentials, maybe a gift certificate to a nice restaurant for each account??? I think people would somehow value a $30 gift certificate more than $30 because the money would be gone faster than the meal in many cases. Give it a try and see if it works. Maybe ask them for some ideas in the price range you are looking for, let them make their own reward???

Even if the money doesn't completely cover the cost of two meals (or more with kids), it gives them an excuse to treat themselves since the majority of the cost is paid by their bonus.

Maybe a larger bonus like a night at a nice Hotel for acquiring X amount of accounts. It all depends on the situation and the volume of work he can sell. Whatever you do, ste realistic numbers so they can reach their goals easily and be rewarded. If they feel the reward is out of reach, they won't strive for it! Neither would you or I. :)
  3. accuratelawn

accuratelawn LawnSite Senior Member

Two years ago I gave my help $10 per new account. He bid the lawns and talked to customers while I spent time with my ill Mother. He made an extra $170 that week.
    Some where bid a little low, but he filled up the route.
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

At the end of the season we give our employee's a bonus check for 1% of the gross volume for that year. We give crew foreman up to 5%.

If you have a guy who is willing to bring you the business rather than try to cut it on the side or squeeze it into your schedules unannounced, I would get him and his girl a gift certificate to a nice restaurant as a "thank you" gesture. If he is willing to continue bringing you business you may want to consider say 8% commission on all of his sales. Especially if he has the gift to bid.

Just my .02
  5. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

We have given bonus paychecks, movie tickets, and prepaid gas cards. Make sure that these are not just $5.00 bonuses. Make them worth while so that that the employee knows that you appreciate their work.
  6. SodFather

SodFather LawnSite Member

Last year I gave my guys $10 each for all new accounts that they brought to the business. I found out the hard way that this is a much better way. What had happened is 2 years ago the guys I had went out on there cuts and as the weeks went on they were getting back later and later. To my suprise they where doing side jobs with my equipment and my name! So I felt if you gave them a bonus for new work this probably won't happen.