1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Paying employees per mile

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ocutter, Feb 9, 2001.

1. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

Say you have a job to do. Your worker, for this example, has a truck that you think can be used for a quick pickup for mulch, stone, whatever. Would you or do you pay them their
    A- regular hourly rate only
    B- hourly rate plus x cents per mile.
    Just curious to see how this worked. Thanks.
  2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

You want to know how I would compensate one of my workers for using his own vehicle??

What would he be using it for?? pulling trailers for maintenance route, hauling fert, picking up plant stock or other materials??

3. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Just put some gas in his truck, it's being used for you so you can claim the expense. I've done this before and they never used all that I put in for business so they were happy and all was well in Homerland.
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

his hourly wage plus 31 cents a mile

5. MTS Services

MTS Services LawnSite Member
    from utah

I would pay regular hourly rate plus 34.5 cents per mile because that is what you get to claim on you're taxes.
  6. rdh

rdh LawnSite Senior Member

what if he wrecks no workers comp.could he sue you or would workers cmp. pay?
  7. Ocutter

Ocutter LawnSite Senior Member

RDH- Insurance covers that in case they wreck.
  8. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Ask the worker. Maybe he doesnt want his truck used as the company mule.

I think that a bad precedent to be starting.

If I had a nice clean sport truck and my boss told me to pick up some mulch stone whatever, Id say fine let me take the co. truck home tonight and Ill pick it up in the am on my way in.
  9. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

If it's just "clean up", and he doesn't use ant of your equipment, and he wants to do it, sub it to him (and pay him as you would a sub-contractor), that way he's off all of your insurance and off your responsiblity. Be sure to make that clear to him. I think that would cover it, what about it guys?
  10. Jet boater

Jet boater LawnSite Member

How does Domino's Pizza do it?