Paying employee's @ your house or job site?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alpine692003, Aug 5, 2004.

1. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

How do you guys pay your employee's?

I have all friends that work for me and I'm curious as how you guys pay your employee's?

I tell my buddy to be @ my house 8:00am or whatever time we start. We load up the equipment and drive to your 1st job site.

He doesn't get paid until we reach the 1st job site and start working, so it could be like 9am or 8:30am depending on what time we get to the job site.

Or do you guys make your employee's drive or meet you @ the job site?:confused: :confused:
  2. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

We start at 7am. that means you show up to the shop at 6:45, and we leave at 7am. So I start paying at 7am. That does not mean they can stand around if i'm not there yet. They know to sharpen blades or work on machines. :cool:
  3. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

They get paid from start to finish, meaning from when they clock in to when they clock out, but they better be do something and not just standing around. My guys usually get to my house around 7:45 and have all the equipment loaded and ready to go and any other things we made need. We pull out every morning at about 8:00 to 8:15 am.......
  4. qualitylandscaping

qualitylandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Clock in to clock out.. Don't pay them for their own drive time...
  5. alpine692003

Ya, I know what you guys mean.. but if you dont have a warehouse and operate out of your house?

I operateof my house for now, I dont pay my buddy when he comes to my house @ 8:30am and helps me load..

I pay him when we arrive @ the 1st job site whatever time that is..

ie) 8:30am - arrives @ my house loads equipment and we drive to 1st job site
    Arrival @ job site could be 9am or 9:30am

Do you pay him from 8:30am when he comes to your house?
    do you pay him when he reaches the 1st job site @ 9am or whatever time that is?

And if you tell him to drive to the job site, how would you work it if you had multiple jobs in that same day?

ie) 3 lawns, 2 garden beds, some mulch installation? these jobs are all over the place? You tell him to drive to the 1st job site and he just keeps following you in his vehicle to the next job?
  6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Not sure but I think that you might be required by law to start paying them from the start time, ie if you want them there to load the equipment at 7:00am, that's when the pay starts. One of the meat packing companies here was requiring their employees to show up 15 minutes before work to get dressed. They would then clock in on the way to the cutting floor, labor board stepped in and made them pay thousands of dollars back pay and penalties. I wouldn't work for someone that won't pay travel time, what happens if you need to swing by the bank on the way to the first job, is that on your employees dime?
  7. alpine692003

hmmm... thats why you drop him off and then do your business..

I see what you mean...
  8. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

My boss pays us starting at 8:00 til whenever we finish, we usually get there 7:45-7:50 start talking about the job were going to and loading equipment, materials n what not by the time we get to the job its already 8:30 usually so.
  9. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would he, or you, think he shouldn't get paid for loading equipment or sitting behind the windshield. If you weren't going to pay me until we got to the customers house, I'd meet you there and sleep an extra half hour. The guys an idiot for following your little arrangement.
  10. all degree

all degree LawnSite Senior Member

Cmon man your talking about an extra hour a week! Whats that tops $15. You are gonna make him resent you and do a poor job or quit. Stop being so cheap. You tripping over dollars picking up pennies.