Paying employees?????

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Logan's Landscaping, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Logan's Landscaping

Logan's Landscaping LawnSite Member

:help: I wanted to know when you start and stop the clock on your people. They show up at work at 8am and we leave 5 to 10 minutes later and normally get to the first job about 8:30. I give them payed lunch but it varies depending on the day and where we go (30 min to 1 hr).Then I stop the clock when we finish the last stop of the day. Is that normal since I am still out on the road with them , and if I start sending them out by them selves do I need to change anything since I know what they can do in the time given. :dizzy:

2. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a good question, I'm interested in seeing what others do. I currently start the clock at 7 when we leave the shop and stop the clock whatever time we return. I also give paid lunches.

3. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

My employees hit the time clock when they arrive at the shop. We pay a 15 min break, they get 30 mins taken out for lunch (unless signed off by supervisor if they work through and/or settle for their 15 min break). They clock out at end of day after all equipment unloaded, trucks and equipment checked for fuel, etc. There is no argument re: hours of pay when you can produce a timecard.

4. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

If I had paid employees, they would be paid from the moment they show up in the AM until we get back in the PM - Would buy lunch also.

5. Diesel84

Diesel84 LawnSite Member

I have 1 employee. The clock starts from when he arrives in the AM and stops when we get back in the PM to the shop. I give a 15 minute break and 30 minute lunch that he gets paid for. I do it this way cuz it keeps a happy employee and they are hard to come by. Its also not much more money out of my pocket to pay breaks and lunch.

6. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

The guy i'm working for right now pays me from the time i show up, till when we get back. I buy my own lunch, but i'm being paid for that time.

7. Supertiger

Supertiger LawnSite Member

I pay from when they arive at the trucks and to the last yard of the day, i dont pay for the time spend driveing back to the shop, there is no money being made on the way home. i do pay threw the lunch break but i dont pay for their lunch.

8. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I start when they guys show up to the shop and end when the equipment is unloaded and cleaned up. I buy lunch once and a while especially if we are having a tough day.

9. prizeprop

prizeprop LawnSite Senior Member

my guys usually roll in around 6:45am, we load the trailers and set the work details but they don't get paid till 7:00am. However, once everything is loaded we all take a coffee and smoke break from 7 - 7:15, so it evens out. I'm a b i t c h in the morning so after setting everything up it gives us a chance to settle down before we hit the road.

10. Steppenwolf

Steppenwolf LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly the same as turfdude and make sure employee signs time card each week.